jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How they say it over there.

1. Arachnea profile image85
    Arachneaposted 2 years ago

So, when writing a story or book for publication in another country of the English-speaking sort, do you also adhere to grammar and spelling rules of English for that country? Or do you use your native dialect of English?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I do some writing and book editing for the Canadian audience, so I adhere to Canadian English for those works. Another author I know wrote and published the current novel in her Mennonite-Amish mystery series in England and followed UK English requirements. It was quite refreshing.

2. SusannaDuffy profile image86
    SusannaDuffyposted 2 years ago

I use my native dialect.

3. Sed-me profile image83
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

I prefer to use a British dialect whenever possible.

4. Carola Finch profile image95
    Carola Finchposted 2 years ago

I am from Canada, but I used American spelling in all my writing.  It seems to be in common usage.   We do not have an English "dialect" to speak of, but some words are spelt slightly differently, i.e. favorite to Canadians is favourite, etc.

5. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

I am in Australia and used to change everything to US spelling, but I have since changed my spell check to Australian/UK English so write almost everything now to comply with that. Most people know where I'm from so I think they are used to it by now.

6. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

If you want a publisher from a specific country to take your material, you need to adhere to their style guide. Whatever is not specified in the style guide is discretionary.

1. Arachnea profile image85
      Arachneaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This makes sense to me. I suppose one could nail down the preferred usage before signing a contract. I was just curious about this as I have a copy of a list of words as used across American, Canadian, and UK writing standards.