No AdSense = No Earnings. So has it all been in vain?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. JoeYoung22 profile image87
    JoeYoung22posted 9 years ago

On browsing the forum, I have become aware that we can't earn on HubPages without AdSense. This is a grim realization for me.

I have 29 featured hubs that are generally considered to be of reasonable quality. I applied for an AdSense account over a year ago, and since then I've had nothing. When I log into my AdSense account, I get the following message:

Your AdSense for content account is still under review. . .

Yet according to my HubPages earnings page, my account is active. Furthermore, when I click the 'configure' button, I get this message:

It appears that you already have an approved Google AdSense Account associated with HubPages, with the publisher id XXXX etc.

How can my account be both approved and under review simultaneously for over a year? I posted this question on the AdSense help forums back in August, but I got no replies.

All of the dials on my AdSense page are permanently set to zero. It's all quite discouraging really.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm not expecting to make big bucks here, but even a trickle would be encouraging.

Thanks.

1. Venkatachari M profile image88
      Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google adsense is very difficult to get approved. They say that their clients need standard stuff to place ads. So they set very rigid standards for approval of adsense. I tried many times and each time they say my content is substandard on my own blog titled lifestyle tips. And I can't change my blog once I applied for it. If I want to apply with fresh blog site, I have to apply with some different email id. So I left it pending since more than a year.
      On hubpages, I have the hubpages adsense earnings programme. Not the Google adsense programme. Hubpages have their own earnings programme which you can apply for without any such problems.
      I own 11 hubs here. I applied for adsense on 26th September and it was approved next day. Since then, during these 23 days, I earned 23 cents in my account. It makes me feel I am also earning something.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Joe,

You will have to contact AdSense to resolve your account issue (the Troubleshooting section of the AdSense Help Center is a good place to start), but until you get that sorted out, you can still earn from your own personal Amazon Affiliate account.

2. Bonfire Designs profile image41
    Bonfire Designsposted 9 years ago

It actually is disheartening, I have some great lenses, now hubs that I'm really proud of and wish they would at least let me keep linking to where everything is so related in the stories and would earn me some money.  It really is a shame.....

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When did you apply?   Adsense won't accept people with accounts "younger" than a month.   So if you applied early, it's time to try again as you've now been here 2 months.

3. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Until you are approved by AdSense, you can still earn from Amazon and Ebay.

One can earn by hubpages earnings programme also without Google adsense, as is my case.

1. Maximum A profile image73
        Maximum Aposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Really? I don't have a GA account so I can't earn via HubPages. I can only earn via affiliate links, but they pay, like, cents.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think Venkatachari must be mistaken, it sounds to me like he does have AdSense, which was approved through HP rather than his blog. He wrote "I applied for adsense on 26th September and it was approved next day. "

HP requires an AdSense account in order to participate in the HP Ad Program .

I'm not sure how to solve your problem of an AdSense account pending for a year -- I hope someone who can help will chime in.

I just wanted to say that you do need AdSense for HP ads. Use Amazon and eBay for now, and know that it It all pays pennies, especially in the beginning. It is definitely beneficial to have HP ads and AdSense, but unless you have lots of articles and they are quite popular, you will probably be earning pennies on those programs, too.

I don't mean to discourage you -- I just want you to know you're probably not missing out on big bucks while you get your AdSense account straightened out.

I do have adsense. But it is hubpages' one. Not the Google adsense, as per my perception. If it is Google adsense, I should be able to use it on my other blogs also. I am not clear. It is very confusing for me. On my youtube channel at this link my monetisation is enabled but it does not show earnings https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5syTv … TvUE7c2fbA

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
              SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You must have Google AdSense to participate in HubPages ad program, so if you are earning here from HubPagse ads, you do have Google AdSense.

As I understand it, people usually are issued only one Google AdSense account that they are to use on all their advertising vehicles, whether they use HubPages or WebAnswers, have a blog or a YouTube account, etc. As far as I know, you should be able to link the same AdSense account you're using here with your blogs and YouTube accounts. I have never had a blog or a YouTube account, so I unfortunately I can't give you the instructions on how to do so.

I hope someone will chime in who can. Best of luck to you.

2. Maximum A profile image73
            Maximum Aposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, SmartAndFun! For a while there, I thought I misunderstood the earnings policies.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

No you cannot.  If you do not have Adsense, you can enrol for the HP Earnings Program but you cannot earn from it.

It sounds like you have been approved for Adsense, but it's a limited approval for HubPages only.   That does happen sometimes.

As I am seeing earnings on my hubs, does it mean that I have my Adsense account approved? Yes, just I logged to my earnings programme to see and I find under external affiliate settings that there is Google adsense programme which is active. It is showing the code also, a lengthy number. So, am I required to link this code with my youtube account?
          One thing more. The settings shows that all my accounts ie. hubpages ad program, ebay program and amazon programs are also active. But earning figures are showing only for hubpages ad program which are $0.20 dollars for this month. The figures for ebay and amazon are showing as "zero". Why?

4. viking305 profile image92
    viking305posted 9 years ago

Once you have a Google Adsense Affiliate Code then you can add it to your blogs by copying and pasting it from your Hubpages account and adding it to the Adsense  section on your blogs and on your own You Tube account

5. Glenda Motsavage profile image68
    Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

@Venkatachari M  I'm certain it's exactly like @Marisa Wright has said — it's a limited approval for HubPages only.  That's the same type of AdSense approval I received.  This is how my approval email read:

"Your Google AdSense application has been approved. You'll soon begin to see relevant Google ads appear on http://myname.hubpages.com.

Please note:

Your AdSense account only allows you to monetize the content that you create on AdSense host partner sites.

To track the performance of your new Google ads and access more AdSense features, sign in to your AdSense account.

If you later decide that you'd also like to implement AdSense on a domain that you registered yourself, we ask that you provide us with the URL where you plan to show ads. To submit this one-time review request form, follow the steps described in this help article."

Do you remember receiving an email similar to this?  As the last paragraph states, you probably have to submit the URL of your personal website for review and approval.  Hope this helps!

I do not exactly remember what I received. I will search my old mail and let you know.
      But I remember changing my username for my approval of the adsense account on hubpages.
      Thereafter I resubmitted the URL of my original blog for which I have applied for adsense a year ago. It has been rejected 2, 3 times. They are blogs and I think they do not contain quality content for placing ads. I write my ideas and thoughts and some moral advices, etc. on that site. Some of them represent TV serial stories. The total viewership on that blog site crossed 10,000 for above 50 posts. I think I should improve quality and original content for approval.
      Thank you for your concern and I will let you know the position later.

2. Venkatachari M profile image88

Yes, I got it for my youtube channel adsense approval. It is here.

"Your Google AdSense application has been approved. You'll soon begin to see relevant Google ads appear on http://www.youtube.com/user/nirmala57vnktchari.
      Please note:
      Your AdSense account only allows you to monetize the content that you create on AdSense host partner sites.
      To track the performance of your new Google ads and access more AdSense features,sign in to your AdSense account.
      If you later decide that you'd also like to implement AdSense on a domain that you registered yourself, we ask that you provide us with the URL where you plan to show ads. To submit this one-time review request form, follow the steps described in this help article."

So, I learn that these adsense accounts are only for affiliated services like hubpages and Youtube.
      For my website, I have to apply and get it approved separately.

Regarding earnings, I hope they may not disclose petty earnings in pennies and cents on Youtube like we see here on hubpages.

1. gitachud profile image69
        gitachudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Adsense account you have is a hosted account that can be used on YouTube and Hubpages. You can convert it to a full account by applying through payments section of your current account.

You will be asked to put code in the website you want to monetise. If accepted, your account will be converted within 24 hours. If rejected you will still be able to use the hosted account on partners such as Hubpages, Webanswers etc.

That is what I did for Adsense approval.

1. ologsinquito profile image82
          ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Gitachud, how do you know for sure if you have a hosted or a non-hosted account?

6. gitachud profile image69
    gitachudposted 9 years ago

That information will be prominently displayed at the top left of your account dashboard. With a hosted account you cannot monetise your personal websites with Adsense ads.

Gitachud, I don't see anything that says hosted. The reason I am confused is I applied for my account just before everything here switched to hosted, and I've never been sure what type of account I've had. It says I have an "individual" account, but I see nothing that says hosted.

I forgot to mention that my account was approved after the switch, so I've never been sure. Someone else I know who applied around the same time definitely has a hosted account.

7. JoeYoung22 profile image87
    JoeYoung22posted 9 years ago

This didn't go well - the thread was immediately hijacked and my original problem has been pretty much ignored. Not to worry though, I've just about had it with online writing.

I have given up on AdSense, and my views here, trickle that they were, have slumped to single figures daily - as John Lennon said, "It's just like starting over". There is absolutely no incentive for me to continue posting articles on here (which is sad, because I do like this site).

I quit writing on Bubblews too, even though I am pretty close to the redemption threshold of $50. I realised that I have better things to do with my time than wading through the mass of utter drivel that is posted on there for the sake of the occasional interesting piece.

I've been working on some short stories and scripts of late, and I have found a new impetus, as I have a fairly good track record in this field. I'm not too bad at writing, but I have no idea when it comes to SEO and stuff (nor do I have any desire to learn), so I'll revert to more traditional outlets.

I'm happier this way; just submitting work, even with the rejection that this brings.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you about Bubblews, I quit writing there for the same reason, among others.

It sounds to me like there is something missing in your Adsense application process; because it's showing that you're approved here at HP but not when you try to log into your Adsense account. Are you sure you didn't get an email from Adsense about this?

The other thing I wanted to say is that there are alternatives to Adsense. There are ad programs that you can join and put their ad codes on your own site. I don't know if you want to start your own site or if you already have one, but if so you could use an Adsense alternative there. I'm going to send you a message via your HP profile with info.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I think people didn't offer to help because they couldn't:  it's a very unusual situation.   You might have more luck on the Adsense forums. 

However, it sounds like you've moved on anyway, and maybe that's for the best.  Freelance writing, even with all the rejections, is far, far more profitable than writing on any online site - particularly if you're not prepared to learn all the attendant skills like SEO, self-promotion etc.

A very successful online writer once said to me that online writing is 10% writing, 90% other stuff (keyword research, link building, SEO, social networking, etc).  I think he's right, which is why I don't even attempt to do this for a living any more.  The 90% of other stuff is more tedious and frustrating than my real-life job ever was, and the hourly rate for online writing is a darn sight less than I used to earn, so what's the point?

I also got frustrated about online writing for others. Had to do a lot of homework leaving my other important issues for the sake of $2 they paid per article. So I stopped writing and started on hubpages as this site is very interesting and I can write qualitatively here to satisfy myself even though I am not getting any remuneration. It gives me much satisfaction with the fellow hubbers and the site's own design and formats which give me full satisfaction while writing.

3. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

joeyoung22:
      Have you considered publishing your stories on Amazon KDP?

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Joe: It appears that you already have an approved Google AdSense Account associated with HubPages, with the publisher id XXXX etc

You put that publisher ID in the spot for it on your earnings page. You can look where it would go for adsense and see if it says active or not.  You can only have one Adsense Account.  It sounds like you already have one, but applied for a second one.  Without Adsense on HP, the only way you can earn is through Amazon, Share A Sale, Commission Junction, etc if you have affiliate account with them.   With personal Amazon, add your ID, and you then can use capsules.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

When you want to access your Google adsense acccount, you have to be signed in to Google under the email address that you use for Adsense. 

I have multiple G mail accounts.  I use one for just about everything. However, my adsense account is under a  different Gmail account.  I can not get into my adsense account with my primary Gmail. I have to close that then open the Gmail account I use for Google Adsense.

You are correct. I also got a different gmail account for signing in to adsense at hubpages. Am I required to log out from here and sign in to that account for viewing the google adsense account earnings if any?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Does that mean you have two Adsense accounts?   That is breaking Adsense rules, unless one of them is a business account.

No. I do not have two. My adsense is approved only for one gmail account. The first was not approved which was for my blog account.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)