Get Rid of Your EzineArticles Links

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

To everyone who is using the Disavowal Link Tool on Google and/or has had a loss of traffic, be sure to remove any articles you have on EzineArticles and any other article sites you may have used to post links to your HP subdomain or Hubs.  These links are considered spam links by Google and will hurt your search rankings.  The same is true for guest blogging posts and press releases. The Disavowal Tool will not work for these.  You must have them removed from the Web yourself.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for reminding me to do this. I just closed my account since I have not written anything there for over 3 years.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, WF, for mentioning this. It confirms what I had done. I had written many business related Ezine articles for the purpose of having backlinks from Ezine to my business site. But when I first heard about how Google felt about this, I removed all those articles and closed my Ezine account. A few months later my business site picked up with Google traffic. I can't say for sure if the improved traffic had anything to do with no longer having links from Ezine, but your info here does support that theory.   Thanks again.

Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that removing those links helped your search rankings.  Other webmasters have reported the same experience, too.  I'm glad you posted your results here and I hope other Hubbers will take note.

2. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 9 years ago

All links from ezine are now nofollow so these should not matter.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I know that in one article, Google used a link from an EzineArticles post as an example of a spammy link.  The result of that one link is that webmasters are saying, Google thinks all EzineArticles are spam.  That seems like a big leap to me, and I'd love to know if anyone has any other evidence for the contention.

SEO gurus have made the same big leap about guest blogging - and they are wrong, as these articles highlight:

http://www.socialmediatoday.com/content … dnt-say-it

http://www.copyblogger.com/guest-blogging-not-done/

4. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

What types of links are advantageous?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Guest blogging still works.   It's a lot of work, though, because you have to write a decent article and find a quality blog that will accept it.  Personally I don't bother to do that for Hubs, because the cost/benefit isn't there.

If I write a guest post linking to  my blog, I get a visitor who is likely to stay and browse around several of my pages.   If I write a guest post linking to a Hub, that visitor is more likely to be tempted away by the links to other people's Hubs, than to browse around my sub-domain.  So a guest post link to my blog can get me several views per visit, whereas a guest post link to my Hub may get me only one view per visit.  Not worth it.

5. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

WriterFox,

I don't know where I've been all this time, but I didn't know about ezine.  So if you wrote an article here, did you summarize it on ezine and then link back?  Can you explain that process a bit?  I did that in relation to one or two articles here, but only with my blog.  I let the blog be the intro and then linked to the article here. I don't make any money writing to speak of anywhere, and I guess I just don't know how.  Last month I earned $2.28.  Of course, I gave up writing hubs here and keep flitting around between trying to promote my little children's book, making new online learning games and auditory apps, and fixing up the educational software and games website we had since the 90's - so lots of stuff for absolutely no money.  While you mention taking off the links to ezine on this blog, I just want to know how that ever did work before this situation. smile  Cheers Billie

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't waste your time with EzineArticles.    Its original concept was that you wrote an article on EA which included a link to your website.  Blog owners and webmasters could then use your article on their own blogs/sites, meaning that your link would appear on many sites.

That whole concept is outdated now because you have no control over who uses your articles, or even if they preserve your link. So it's no longer worth using.

2. Craan profile image81
      Craanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

On Ezine you must compose original articles that are 400 words or more. And you get to post links to your HubPages blog in a resource box. They also give you a spot to list your main profile links on their site. It's a complete waste of time and energy!

3. Writer Fox profile image31

I've never written on EzineArticles.  There was a time when article banks and link directories would give back links which would boost the PageRank of your site or webpage, which in turn would help to get higher rankings on search engines.

Now, those links have the opposite effect and are considered spam backlinks.  EzineArticles links have been listed as specific examples of webspam under manual penalty notices from Google.

6. Craan profile image81
    Craanposted 9 years ago

Thanks Writer Fox for the heads up! I moved 8 Ezine Articles to Bubblews.

7. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

I have never had an ezine account but does this mean that linking related articles to one another is now a BIG NO even if they are your own articles? I read the blog post by Matt and it just left me all the more confused as to their intent. Is no one to write online unless they are a government website and guaranteed to be found by other means?

I'm not sure what 'related articles' you are talking about here.  Linking related Hubs together with followed, internal links is good.  If you have a blog where you are constantly posting external links to your Hubs, this can appear like the only reason you have a blog is to give backlinks and that can be considered spam. If you are also giving links back to the blog from your Hubs, those reciprocal links can be considered spammy, too. You can avoid any penalty from Google by just using the NoFollow attribute on those links so that traffic can find your content but Google will not use the link in its PageRank evaluation.

Links from content which you control is always in danger of being considered spam.  One of the hallmarks of a good link is one that has editorial control, meaning that someone else saw your Hub and is recommending it to his audience without payment or incentive given by you.

8. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Writer Fox. Do you think we need to contact all the webmasters on the bad links in WMT to get them removed? Several different opinions show up in forum re manual penalty versus no penalty. I didn't know where to post this question but value your judgment. Have great day.

Google's Matt Cutts says, "Yes."  For the Disavowal Tool to work for you, you must follow the procedure and Google wants to see evidence that you have tried to get the links removed by contacting site owners, etc.  It wants to see that you have actually been successful in getting some of the links taken down or, at the very least, changed from 'followed' links to 'NoFollow.'  If you want Google to disavow the ones you can't get removed, you must demonstrate how you have tried to get the remaining links removed and what response you received from Webmasters. 

And, remember, there is no guarantee that Google will, in fact, disavow the links you list.  Google says that it will consider your list as a suggestion: "We treat it as a very strong suggestion, but we don't treat it as something that we absolutely have to abide by."

And, here's what he said about using the Disavow Links Tool when you haven't had a Manual Penalty notice:

" … you've done as much as you can to get those links off of the Web, but some people don't respond, or for whatever reason you can't get every single link taken off the Web, that's the perfect use case to do a Disavow and say, 'OK, these are the links that I have tried to get taken down and I can't manage to take them down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFJZXpnsRsc

I closed my account with Ezine. Would that be enough to get my inks disavowed?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

If you deleted those articles on Ezine and you no longer have links from Ezine, then there is no need to disavow since they are gone.

Did not delete any just closed the account

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

I deleted mine before I closed my account. I'm not sure if they remain otherwise. Check to see if yours  are gone.

9. Craan profile image81
    Craanposted 9 years ago

Now, is this a problem? I've posted links to my author website from HP where my children's books are presented. Will this be considered spam?

1. Marie Flint profile image73
      Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Craan, if I've read Writer Fox's recommendations correctly, your links from your Hub Pages articles to your children's books website should be "no follow." If that's the case, then there should be no problem. ~~~

1. Craan profile image81
        Craanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Marie!

10. Colleen Swan profile image92
    Colleen Swanposted 9 years ago

Thank you Writer Fox for your insights.
    I have Pinterest and Listly pages where I list many of my hubs. Could these links be viewed as spam?

11. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Writer Fox - Do you know of a good article to read about determining bad links or finding comprehensive lists? I read there are free tools where you can list your links and the site will tell you the status. Also, it says a good SEO person can look at a list and know which are bad links. An IT person told me that if the server gets moved, and the address changes, bad backlinks may result. I know we only disavow if we cannot get the webmaster to remove it. Appreciate any information. Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)