Views seem to be returning...finally!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (43 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

If you have been following me on the forums, you know that I had a massive drop in views long before any of the other issues happened with HP.  I had no penalties or warnings from G, so with the help of many writers here, I started making changes.  Since I had no idea as to what happened, I took just about ALL of the advice plus added a few ideas of my own.  I knew that once each month G updates article rankings, and the day is different for each person.  Yesterday was my day.  Although there has not been a huge increase, my views are triple what I was left with when my site collapsed.  I am not finished updating, so I expect these numbers to increase over time.  Here is what I did and am doing:

I changed all full width photos and videos. back to normal size.
    I cut ads, where I had them, to a maximum of three and only to where they were meaningful.
    I eliminated all bolding.
    I consolidated sentences so that fewer of them stood alone and the article looked more like an article.
    I counted key words and if I had more than 1-2% of the same word in an article, I either restructured sentences or used more synonyms.
    I went on Webamaster Tools and found every malicious site that had linked to me, contacted all of them for documentation and got G to disavow 23 domains that had given me 1400 bad link connections.
    I also deleted every medical related article, even though many were historically getting good views.
    I also deleted many articles for which I felt there was too much competition on Google searches.
    In total, I deleted about 47 hubs.

This has taken a huge amount of time and has meant a lot of rewriting, and my views still are nowhere near where they were...but at least they are improving.

One good thing that happened this week is that someone posted one of my RV hubs on FB, it got picked up and passed on and to date has received more than 4,000 views.  Not nearly what some get when this happens, but given my circumstances, those views were a blessing.

I still have many hubs to rework, but it is clear to me that what I have done has been helpful.  I got nailed a bit by Panda, but not Penguin, and the hit was very small.  My updates will bring those views back at some point.So,that's my story and I am sticking to it. I want to thank every single person who opened my eyes to  things I might have been doing wrong so that I could make corrections.  It has been a long fall from 28,000 views per month down to where I landed, but the mountain is there, and I will continue to climb it.

Love you guys!

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So glad to hear that things are starting to pick back up for you!  Thank you for sharing your checklist for Hub improvements.

2. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update. You have done a tremendous amount of work!  Update us again when things pick up even more!  A great example for others to check out and tweak for their personal use.

3. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
      PurvisBobbi44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi TT,
      I am happy you are feeling refreshed after all your hard work. Now it is time for you to enjoy the joy of  writing your wonderful hubs. We will soar again as we all work united and as friends who share, just like you have always done for us.

Your Hub Friend,
      Bobbi Purvis

4. CatherineGiordano profile image76
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How do you know your vies have picked up.  HP has not updated my views in 4 days--since 10/22/14. Also, my earnings have not updated for two days.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you set up an account with Google Analytics you can follow your page views and other info there.  You can even get real time view information.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76

Thanks. I have google analytics and that seemed to be stuck also.  I just checked it again and It is working.

5. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello Time,
      What do you mean "normal" width for photos? I thought we were told to make all images full width for the best results. What size is best in your experience?

Peg:  We WERE told to make all photos and ads full width to make mobile device readers have an easier time of reading our work, but I personally think this is a bad idea and may be what caused my problem because when I used them they not only blocked content from the top of my hubs but slowed down people's ability to get into my site.  I got rid of all of them and now just do as I used to do, which is to use the small photos.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
          PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Timetraveler2, You know, I've been putting in a lot of edit time, too, adding tags and titles to photos. You've given us some really important real time clues here and it seems like you're reaping the rewards for all your hard work. Thanks so much for sharing.
          I'm hoping some changes will help mine.
          Peg

PegCole17  I think you  will find that doing this is a ton of work, but I know of no other way to get my views back...and they are coming!   I missed payout last month by just a bit, but this month I will make it, even without the carry over earnings from last month...so something I've done here is working, and if my experience helps others, that's great!

6. HomeArtist1 profile image58
      HomeArtist1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm very happy to learn you're making leeway on your traffic. FABULOUS!!

I'm betting the biggest, most effective change you made was with the images and turning
      off those large beastly pics.

That's where I am right now.

I'm going to post on the forum later why I feel the image issue on HP is a real traffic-bouncer.
      So glad things are changing for you!!!   smile

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76

I'll be looking for it.  I'd like to read that article about pictures.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

HomeArtist1:  I agree.  I never should have listened to the directive to use wide page photos, etc.  I really think this may have been my main issues and agree that you are making the right move.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

TT, it's great to hear your views are picking up again! You've been a busy girl. It's always nice to see positive results and positive news in these forums. I hope you're taking some well deserved time away from the computer and are enjoying this beautiful Florida weather.

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Wow. Way to take the bull by the horns! I'm glad all that hard work is paying off.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips!  I keep going back and revamping finally running out of ideas.

5. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, why did you delete all the medical hubs? That's just about all I write, so I'm curious about your reasoning.

Daughter of Matt:  Google recently announced that it will be hitting hard on medical and health related hubs written by people who are not authorities in these fields...ie, nurses, doctors, physical therapists, dentists, et al.  Although I understand their reasoning, I can see why they are doing this...but even so, I do personally believe that people who speak from personal experience have a lot do offer.  However, Google is king, and given my situation, I felt I needed to whatever I could to lower my risks with them.

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 9 years ago

Ah, that makes sense. I've been in ophthalmology for 18 years so I hope Google sees that as expertise!

Daughter of Matt:  Just make sure you make it clear that you have this background when you write your articles, and you should be fine.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Time Traveler: I couldn't find anything that provides that information. I wish we had the source.

Can't tell you exactly where to find it, but know it is directly from Google.  Check sites that discuss Panda and Penguin and you will find it.  I certainly would not have done this if I was not sure it would be an issue.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I read that somewhere too. It did say the hubs that are written from personal experience will be alright though. I have a lot of natural health hubs that have been doing fine. When you get in trouble probably, is when you write about medical conditions just based on your own research.

Barbara Kay:  I do not recall that it stated writing from your own experience is acceptable, and I believe the reason is that it is very easy for people to accept such writing as "advice" which, in some cases, could be harmful to them.  As far as I have seen, Google wants authority, which means either professional training in a field or being an "enthusiast" such as someone who is an avid gardener and writes on that topic.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I wonder if some of the problem is that those who write in these areas that are not professionals were to add a disclaimer letting readers know that  they are not a medical doctor, etc. Of course, there are those who won't do that.

LindaSmith1:  Google does not care about that.  They want people of authority writing if they wish to be well ranked.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google's robots can't read disclaimers so no, that would make no difference at all.

1. Dressage Husband profile image66
        Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually the robots could read disclaimers, but only if Google wanted them to. This is what they are doing when they recognize someone is a MD or Physio etc.

Dressage Husband:  And where, exactly, do you place this info so the bots can see it...in the article, the profile or where?

9. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Wow, TIMETRAVELER2. I'm so impressed with your tenacity. Great news. That is very hopeful.

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Throughout the squid assimilation, panda and penguin my traffic seems to have been stable to trend a bit upwards. I am not much of an analyst but clearly accounts are all having different experiences.

psycheskinner:  I think you are absolutely spot on.  Let me remind you that my specific problems started one month before any of the changes, so I obviously did something to upset G that was unrelated to the updates.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I sort of wonder if you fell into a test category, where the Panda update hit you well before the univeral rollout.  It's just something I wonder about...

Solaras:

No, I don't think so.  What I really think happened was that I enlarged all of my photos to full width, thus eliminating ads from above the fold without realizing it.  That's the last time I'll blindly follow advice from anybody. Also, I had some very malicious links attached to some of my articles.  It could be other things, but those, I think, are the culprits.

11. Carola Finch profile image92
    Carola Finchposted 9 years ago

I have never heard that wide photos were desirable.  Personally, I don't like huge photos.  I find them too in your face and distracting (though I find video covers are OK).  I rarely use anything full size.  To me, it looks amateurish and unprofessional.

Carol Finch:  You must have missed the post awhile back by Paul Edmunson advising all of us to start using full width photos and ads.  I, like a jerk, followed it and have now changed everything back because I agree with you totally.

1. Carola Finch profile image92
        Carola Finchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess I missed the post about full size photos.  Sometimes writing sites drive me nuts with changing requirements.  A news site i am working for is so desperate for Google approval that they keep changing requirements - argh!  While we writers want to follow the rules, sometimes we have to trust our instincts for what works best.  To me, the text is the most important element and everything else should supplement it, not detract from it.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Personally, I am turned off by the big pics. I have looked at hubs with them and my entire computer screen is covered with a photo. If I am looking for information, etc, I am looking for just that not some Jumbo photograph.

I have also put most of my photos back to normal size.   Another thought is if I want to see what something looks like, I will go to Google images or some other photo site.

Videos are another thing I have made smaller, rather than a eat up the whole screen with it. wherever I can.

I have not found an good spot for all of my photos and videos that are still wide, so they may end up being deleted unless I add a text capsule, put in a few words, and let the image or video sit next to it.

13. GiftsByDiana profile image50
    GiftsByDianaposted 9 years ago

That is great news !
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us as we are all learning.
    I have had very little time to tweak mine or to promote them so they are struggling, but I expect that.
    To much to do and with my Dad's health and mine giving us so much trouble, there is little time for this right now.
    I hope you keep getting good news like this  smile

Sorry to hear about your family's health issues...they should be your first priority.  Anything that needs to be done here on HP can certainly wait.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I found this when searching about image sizes.

This is what Google recommends:
    Recommended size: 1080 x 608
    Minimum size: 480 x 270
    Maximum size: 2120 x 1192

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a … 4016?hl=en

It seems to be all about load time for all viewers.

1. ologsinquito profile image83
      ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Timetraveler, I'm so happy to hear your views are returning. There's hope. I might have to try some of your suggestions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)