jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Re-posting in other places

1. Jonathan Wylie profile image97
    Jonathan Wylieposted 24 months ago

So...I feel like I may have asked this before, but I forget, and the circumstances may be a little different, (albeit the answer probably the same).

Anyway, a very large corporate company, that you will all have heard of, has contacted me and asked to republish one of my articles on their education blog with full attribution and a link back to the original article. Does Hubpages have rules against this? I am sure it might, but I can't find them.

I realize that it would not look good in the eyes of search engines, and I know it is not necessarily a comparable precedent, but this kind of thing does happen fairly frequently on other sites with a addendum like "This article was originally posted on..." etc, and the potential traffic linking back to Hubpages could be good.

I mean, I could rewrite the content for them with essentially the same message with original writing, but reposting would save me some time.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 24 months ago in reply to this

You can do it, it won't cause any problems.  You may get a warning from HubPages but it's just to tell you the content may have been stolen - it's not a penalty and there's no risk your Hub will be unpublished.

However agreeing to this will do you more harm than good, unless the company is paying you.   

If the company is reputable then it's likely its version of your Hub will get priority in the search engines and totally kill any traffic you were getting to that Hub. If they're publishing the entire Hub, there is NO reason for readers to click on the link. So giving them the article is going to cost you money and you need to ensure they compensate you for that.

Jonathan Wylieposted 24 months ago in reply to this

I guess I have two responses for this:

1. I don't want a warning from Hubpages. They have been good to me so I will be good to them.

2. Sometimes the exposure is worth more than money, so being paid is not an issue here, especially considering where it was going to be published. Whether people clicked the backlink or not would have been irrelevant to me in this scenario.

Still, like I said, I am exploring other avenues. I am negotiating to write original content for this company instead.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 24 months ago in reply to this

Google has rules about this.  Only one of your articles will win. 

Why give your article to someone who could outrank you and thus get any and all earning benefit from your writing?  Someone who has a site which has so much money, they could buy your article properly...

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 24 months ago

We have had pretty extensive discussions about whether post hoc duplication is still not permitted, and I must admit it is not clear to me either.  I look forward to members/staff providing the answer.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 24 months ago

If they use your hub, word for word, it is called "Duplicate Content."  I did something like this for a magazine. I wrote an article for them with links to the hub they were interested in.  I explained that if they used a copy of my original content, it would be considered to be a duplicate. They totally understood, and accepted the new article for them, with links to the original.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732309

1. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 24 months ago in reply to this

Linda, when you are talking about a magazine are you referring to a print magazine? If so, it is perfectly acceptable to have a hub published in print as well, and it isn't considered duplicate. I have sold hubs to magazines in the past and the first time I did it I cleared it with HubPages first. Also this is right from the learning center link that you shared:
      "You may publish content that exists elsewhere in print (e.g. content of a book you published); the content simply cannot exist elsewhere online."

4. Jonathan Wylie profile image97
    Jonathan Wylieposted 24 months ago

Ok. Thanks. I think the link Linda posted is clear enough to clarify this. I will take another path with this one smile

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 24 months ago

I don't know if it was a print magazine or not.  I believe it was online

6. calculus-geometry profile image84
    calculus-geometryposted 24 months ago

Congratulations on getting noticed for your writing. Is there anything that keeps you from selling them usage rights to your article?  You can just take it down from HP and sell it to them for a fixed price per word.

Jonathan Wylieposted 24 months ago in reply to this

I did consider that wink