jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Will Editor's Choice Designation Affect 301 Redirects?

1. Kylyssa profile image94
    Kylyssaposted 2 years ago

A few weeks ago, one of my new hubs (not a transferred lens) was chosen as an Editor's Choice hub.  I understand that can also happen to established hubs as well.

What I was wondering about is if an existing lenshub were to be chosen as an Editor's Choice hub, would it lose its redirect?

Also, if one opts out of the EC program, would Editor's Choice hubs one already has revert to one's HP subdomain?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No, it won't lost its redirect.  What will happen is that it will gain ANOTHER redirect, which (as Relache says), is a bad thing.

Most of the knowledgeable SEO people on HubPages seem to be advising Squids not to take part in Editor's Choice for that reason - you've got too many redirects for comfort already!

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

If anything, an Editor's Choice Hubs is going to gain another redirect, from it being moved.

And multiple redirects can be a problem...  But the catch is, we on this end can't know how many redirects are on a Hub total.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

And some of our EC's already have a redirect on them from our initial switch to subdomains.
      Someone recently posted in the forums wondering what happens to EC hubs if one opts out.  Do they once again redirect back to the subdomain?

The redirect will be removed, so they revert back to their original URL.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
          rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I ask because there was a recent thread about a hubber who had opted out, but her former EC hubs were not showing as indexed on her subdomain.  When you search her URL, some of the hubs show up with the HP domain URL first but redirect to her subdomain.  Those hubs appear to remain indexed with the HP URL.  If you do a site://hersubdomain search, not all of her hubs are indexed.

It would make sense for HubPages to redirect the Editor's Choice URL back to her sub-domain to catch any links created while they were EC.   However, they also remove the original redirect.   

It's going to take time for Google to notice the original redirect has been removed, so I'd imagine that's the case here.   It was only five days after she'd opted out, and we don't know how long HubPages' takes to implement the change either.

working