jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

How do you handle your comment section?

1. honghanhvt1182 profile image93
    honghanhvt1182posted 23 months ago

HI everyone,

First of all, I would like to say hello and thank you to everyone who has welcomed me here on Hubpages. I am a relatively new member and still try to find my way around on this new writing site. My experience with Hubpages has been positive so far. Although I do not have much traffic or an Adsense account yet, I have received many constructive comments and encouragements from other members which I really appreciate.

Second, I have a specific question that I would like to receive advice from other members regarding how do you handle your comment section. The comment section is a great way to engage readers, draw traffic to your hubs and receive feedback to improve your research and writing in the future. However, what should you do with nonconstructive arguments or hate-arguments that might make a discussion become ugly? Should you simply not publish it or else? What should you do so that you won't appear to be rude or offend someone who cares enough to make some comments?

I would like to state that this situation  has not happened to me yet, but I'd like to ask just in case I might want to write about some more controversial topics in the future. Thank you very much for any suggestion!

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Hello and welcome to Hubpages.
      I set my comments to be approved before appearing. Secondly, nonconstructive comments are viewed in my opinion as attention seeking trolls. I had to deal with this nonsense until I changed the comments to be approved by me first.
      Unless I feel the criticism adds to the article, I won't allow haters .
      I know others will strongly disagree but that's OK. wink

2. Lionrhod profile image92
      Lionrhodposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Welcome to HP!

I agree with Stacie. I won't tolerate hate speech on my hubs. (And Google/Adsense doesn't like it either.) If they disagree with something I've said in a respectful manner, and it contributes to the hub, I'll allow it.

3. PegCole17 profile image90
      PegCole17posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Yes, indeed. Welcome to Hub Pages. What we enjoy here as a community of writers is that most of the time, people are complimentary and kind in their comments. The way I see it is if someone doesn't like what is being said on a hub, move on. There's no reason to write hateful stuff about people's beliefs or their opinions. If you disagree strongly with what they've said, write your own hub and express your feelings that way.

Like the others have suggested, set your comments to approve first and you can decide whether the responses you receive deserve a place in your work. Certainly if they add to your subject matter or present a different view (in a kind and thoughtful way) it's up to you to include them or not.

All the best

4. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Hi hong,

As a few have already suggested, we recommend setting your comments to require approval before showing up (it's a great way to make sure your readers aren't exposed to spam and other unwanted junk).

We also recommend deleting any comment that is not useful to your readers. Ultimately, how you handle comments is completely up to you, but comments that are off-topic, just picking a fight, and otherwise add no value to the Hub's subject should usually be taken down.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image90
    Jayne Lancerposted 23 months ago

Like Stacie L., I set comments to be approved before appearing. Comments that don't contribute to my hubs in a helpful way are deleted.