jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Why is it I cannot always edit or delete a forum comment?

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 23 months ago

I notice sometimes, it seems, I can edit or delete a comment I've made on the forums, and then other times I can't. Is there a reason for that?

Edit: I'm editing this post 2 hours after I posted it, for instance. So, I'm not certain time is a factor. Just as a time-stamp, calculus-geometry replied to this and then I replied calculus-geometry's comment, below.

1. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I think it works like comments on a hub where you have a window of time to edit. How long after writing the post did you try to edit it?

NateB11posted 23 months ago in reply to this

I can't remember. I didn't think it was very long afterward, but I honestly can't remember.

But it seems like it's inconsistent. I thought that I've been able to edit/delete a long time after I've written a comment, before. And sometimes seems like I lose the chance to do so almost immediately, or soon after I've written the comment.

2. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I think you get 5 or 6 hours. It's around that kind of time frame anyway.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image83
      The Examiner-1posted 23 months ago in reply to this

It probably does depend on the length of time since it has been entered.
      Perhaps it also depends on the type of comment, the subject of the forum, or the amount of comments that are posted.
      I believe more that it is the first one.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 23 months ago

There is a window of time during which you can edit or delete a post with some caveats.

For comments on Hubs, it's about 10 minutes.  Then your comment is at the mercy and will of the Hub owner.  They can honor your takedown request or not.

For forum comments, I've always found it reliable to edit or delete up to about two hours.  The editing window can be longer, I've had results after that vary, which I think depends on how the site servers have updated.  However....

If what you said was quoted by someone else before you edited or attempted to delete your comment, the original comment is sometimes preserved in that other person's post.  I have found comments users (or admin) have removed still intact because they were quoted by someone who replied before the deletion attempt occurred.  That's always interesting.

So if you want to change your mind about something you said posted here, it's best done sooner than later.

NateB11posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Good answer, I knew something kind of different was going on with forum comments. And glad I'm not crazy, because I knew sometimes there's more time to edit than usual.