jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)

I am embarrassed to ask, but what is the "callout" feature?

1. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 2 years ago

I probably should know this by now, but I don't.  When composing a Hub, on the right hand side I see something called "callout".  I don't have a clue.   Is that something new, or have I just never noticed it before?
    Thanks.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi mary,

relache is correct, the Callout Capsule is a new feature intended to highlight facts, quotes, and other bits of info you want to "pop." You can check out the Newsletter where we announced it for more info. smile

mary615posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Christy,  I missed that newsletter somehow (shame on me),  I just read it, and now I see what the Callout is all about.
        I have been seeing it used on different Hubs, and wondered when I was reading the Hub how they did that because I liked the way it looked.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I had exactly the same reaction, Mary!   I didn't find the explanation any help either - "intended to highlight facts" - OK, but how??  I did work it out eventually though.

3. peachpurple profile image76
      peachpurpleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

i thought call out is for those who knows how to quotes. thanks

4. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Mary,
      I love the 'call out' feature also. But I am not going to overdo it such as a kid with a new toy. Oh, and Happy Thanksgivng and Merry Christmas, DEAR friend.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

It got added when the Squidoo lenses were merged, as a feature brought over, and then opened up as a feature for everyone.

It's a text box that allows you to highlight a bit of info, and has formatting for showcasing quotes too.  It's nice for helping break up the visual flow of a Hub.

3. Sylvia Leong profile image88
    Sylvia Leongposted 2 years ago

I like the "classic" version of the callout best.  But right now the text is right justified.  I think it would look better if the text could be centred within the callout box.  What do you think?

mary615posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I used the Classic (I think), and the text seemed to be centered just fine.  I like that feature.

4. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 2 years ago via iphone

When you pick the classic call out, it is in gray and centered. If you have a title, the type is quite large. The box and text stand out on page. One of the other features brackets text on a page, and I have used both - very impressive.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Interesting.  I've used a regular text-box, right-aligned and with a blue background for this sort of thing in the past; as have many other Hubbers.

In-text links can be included in this way.  Usually, these are called "sidebars."  They also appear in print media; notably in magazines.

I wonder just how this "callout" feature is really any diffferent?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Once upon a time, I'd have said the same.  However now that we have so many mobile visitors (who see all our capsules full-width), I'm not sure whether our blue background "sticks".  So the callout feature becomes more useful.

6. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 2 years ago via iphone

It's just a different way to emphasize text on a page other than the right aligned box.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm...wellllllll.....IMHO, I don't think gray 'stands out' very well; I don't like it.

Furthermore, I distinguish my 'extra information' text capsules from my Amazon capsules by background color.  Blue for information; gray for products.

Having a "callout" box appear only available in gray would eliminate that distinction.  I also prefer the sidebar style, as it is less intrusive into the article. 

You're reading along, and all of a sudden, "WHAM!  Full stop!!"  There's a box in the middle of what you were reading.  I find such things distracting and disruptive to the flow of the article.
      (Ditto with ads; it's a main reason I keep adblock turned on--not to mention the faster page-loading times, not having to wait for ads to load every time you "turn the page.")

It's not a style I like at all.  Anyone who cares to use it, I'm sure is free to do so. I will not be incorporating this new feature into any of my own hubs, though.

7. pateluday profile image33
    pateludayposted 2 years ago

Add some extra happening feature in callout!

8. kenneth avery profile image82
    kenneth averyposted 2 years ago

mary, I just used it tonight. It is used to put quotes or text in colored box with black lines at top. Very useful.
    '

9. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 2 years ago

Glad you asked this question Mary. Now I know what it is and how to use it.

10. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 2 years ago

I am glad I asked the question, and am glad I know how to use the call out feature.  I am so literal, when I see the words "call out", I just think I should literally "call out" something!   Silly me!

I used the feature to empathize  a tip on a recipe Hub, and I like it!

1. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Mary615, so do I. But as with a kid with a new toy, I am going to control my urge to not overdo it.
      Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas, my DEAR friend.

11. Dressage Husband profile image80
    Dressage Husbandposted 2 years ago

It is designed to really emphasize a point you want to make and as such needs to be used judicially. It can be very effective though.

working