jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Tell Me Why Adding 100K articles not boosted traffic after 3 Months

1. janderson99 profile image86
    janderson99posted 23 months ago

The image below shows Quantcast data (US pageviews) for the last 3 months. Despite the addition of thousands and thousands of pages from Squidoo, the average traffic has remained the same. This is a major concern. Why no change?

I have my Quota Theory - Google has assigned a secret traffic quota to HP, and it twiddles the knobs as new pages are added, each week or so, to adjust ranks to keep overall traffic within that Quota (You can't Get Over That!)

and Paul E  (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125240#post2665494) has mentioned "traffic throttling",.... based on  page rank dilution........... If you have a site ranking well ... the page rank is distributed and flows to each page.......... If you add several pages, the amount of page rank that flows to each page is diminished.  Therefore, traffic gets redistributed as a function of page rank.

But, Tell Me Why? Why no increase in traffic after 3 months? It has serious implications for HP and for authors.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 23 months ago

janderson99. As far as I'm concerned, you are right.

1. janderson99 profile image86
      janderson99posted 23 months ago in reply to this

The implication is rather like having a bag limit for fishing, with a fisher only allowed a maximum of 5 fish in the catch bag at a time for the day. Once a fisher reaches their bag limit they start 'size sorting', discarding a smaller fish for a larger one just caught. Or they simply stop fishing for the day!

If there is a Quota for HP, then you can only get more traffic for each added article if a 'smaller fish' gets discarded (winners and losers). There is an effective net 'bag limit' for large subdomains on HP as well. This makes it very tough to get extra traffic for new articles published on HP.

This changes the whole scene for writing on HP. To put it crudely it is 'dog eat dog' - we are all competing for our share of a limited pie within HP as well as in the SERPS delivered by Google, which only lists one result from the Hubpages domain on each page of results. Interestingly, traffic on my external sites has increased as new pages have been added - Perhaps this is Panda favoring the little guy.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 23 months ago

I buy the Quota theory as well.  It seems obvious.

So the importing of Squidoo achieved nothing at all.  But more importantly than that - the removal of any low-quality pages with immediate effect... might.

If you can add 100,000 or whatever and achieve nothing then surely the reverse is true?

Therefore, as has been raised on another thread about low quality pages, instead of employing editors and exhorting people to join in and try harder, how about getting rid of the worst 100,000?

The site 'quota' - if that is what it is etc. - may be something to do with a penalty for generic low quality which is a common failing of user generated content sites.  It is the reason why most of them have now shut.