jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Adding An External Link To Comment Section

1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 2 years ago

I just added an external link to a comment in hopes of helping the reader.  I now find out this will make my hub a 'no-follow.'  How can I correct this?

1. agvulpes profile image87
      agvulpesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

the notice under the comment box states:
      'No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your Hubs or other sites.'
      This to me implies that it is OK as long as it is relevant to the subject of the Hub and is not spam smile
      I have place Links in my comments to readers and never noticed any problems smile

vocalcoachposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for adding to my understanding concerning adding external links.  Appreciate it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It won't make your Hub "no follow".  It's just that link which will be no follow - which doesn't really matter.  Real readers can still follow it, it's only Google that will ignore it.

It's fine to put a link in your comments on your own Hub.   Etiquette on HubPages is that you don't post links in comments on other people's Hubs, though.

Thanks for the clarification Marisa.  Appreciate it.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Your hub is not a no follow. The link can be a no follow.  All links in hubs that are below a certain score, along with hubber score too low, HP makes all links no follow links in hubs of that hubber.

Is my hub safe then and are external links allowed in comments?  Thanks Linda.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60

You can put a link, but HTML is not permitted.  As long as your hub is featured (solid black circle with H) and doesn't have any of the symbols at the bottom of the page with hubs and stats, you are okay

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60

You have to watch for those who make comments because they will toss in spam links and that is a problem.  I have my comments set so that I have to approve them before they are published.

This is a great idea and I'll be sure to do this. Thanks for all your help Linda.

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
        Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, we are not supposed to place links to our own hubs or sites, as that is deemed overly promotional in comments.  HP frowns on links in comments on hubs from my understanding.

1. Colleen Swan profile image94
          Colleen Swanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I had a couple of experienced hubbers place a link into a comment that opened a dead page, and the other paste an excessive amount of the content from my hub into their comment. I think that dead links and duplicate content within comments on your hubs are not good for you; I delete them to be on the safe side.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
            Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's a very good point, Colleen.   Hubbers come and go and Hubs can get deleted, so allowing a link to a Hub in your comments means there's always a risk that link will be broken at some point.

2. vocalcoach profile image94

Thank you Faith!

5. Blaber Blogger profile image72
    Blaber Bloggerposted 2 years ago

I know some links are posted in comments as a reference or an extended help to the comment but it is mostly detected as spam which causes errors to pop up

I'm hoping this won't occur in my hub.

working