jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Favorite Categories.

1. Jason Mcnutt profile image61
    Jason Mcnuttposted 23 months ago

I started  a hub account about two years ago then never got around to it.  I am here again and want to get something going but I can not settle on a subject.  I tried reading over the forum for advice and did not see anything that stood out to me.  How do you guys decide what you want to write about? Yes I am just scratching for something to write about and hoping to ignite the brain fuel.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 23 months ago in reply to this

"Favorite categories" does not necessarily mean ones you want to write about. It is a way of bringing up hubs in your feed that you may want to read, and may inspire you to write on a similar subject.
      Do a little exploring before you start writing, it will give you an idea of what hub articles look like -- also, read the help section, the learning center, FAQ's and whatever you find interesting.
      Then do a little experimenting in writing what you want to write...  people will give you suggestions, as you go.

2. peachpurple profile image79
      peachpurpleposted 23 months ago in reply to this

i am updating my old hubs, 120 of them, i have plans of what to write but with 700 words, it is going to take me months

2. Snakesmum profile image90
    Snakesmumposted 23 months ago

Currently I've only got one project in hand as I'm busy updating my lenses to hubs.

Inspiration comes at weird times, so the best thing to do is write down the topic when you think of it, then do your research.

If you can't think of a topic which inspires you, however, it is going to be difficult to hold the attention of a reader.   Your passion for a subject will show in your writing.   If you've not been interested in researching and writing, you most likely won't hold the attention of a reader.

3. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 23 months ago

I agree with Rochelle, Jason. You have to decide what type of writing you want to do..whether it is a "how to" article on something you have expertise in, poetry, short story, article about some cause or something you are interested in, book or movie review, your favourite recipe...the list is endless. I just get inspired by things around me.. a song, book title, something that happened during the day or I saw on the news etc. Look around some other hubs for some ieas.

4. Pollyanna Jones profile image97
    Pollyanna Jonesposted 23 months ago

What lights your fire? Write about the topics that you enjoy, and you'll find the inspiration never runs out. You'll find there is always someone out there that shares your interests.

5. SAQIB6608 profile image52
    SAQIB6608posted 23 months ago

Write on What ever seems to be " an ease / comfort for writing" to you. There are hell of categories.Poetry, Literature, Household stuff, photography, sports, actors, directors, films and whatever you love. I guess one should enjoy and really have ones heart out for his hub.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 23 months ago

Hi Jason. A good place to start is to review the complete list of topics on HubPages. That should give you some inspiration or ideas. Here is the link:

Best wishes to you.

7. Jason Mcnutt profile image61
    Jason Mcnuttposted 23 months ago

Thanks everybody.  Writing is something I want to get into. I just do not know where to start.  I do have ideas floating in my head now. just got to get to it.

8. PaigSr profile image46
    PaigSrposted 23 months ago

A few things I have done that might help you or anyone looking for ideas.
    I always have a pad of paper and pencil with me. Its interesting to just jot things down. They could be an idea, a sentence or just one word.
    Stare out a windows to see what goes by. This has helped me on more than one occasion.
    Take a look at the books, music and movies in your home. You would not have them in if you didn't like them. Trust me I have hit the book shelf more than once. And the music is playing even if I am not writing about it. And with a movie you can write about the movie and the music sort of a two for one way to inspire you.
    This might not be much but each one has helped me more then once. Good luck igniting that brain fuel of yours.

1. OldRoses profile image84
      OldRosesposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I actually keep a file on my computer of ideas to write hubs about.  My list has 100+ ideas on it right now.  It comes in handy during those times when I can't think of anything to write about.  I look at my list and always see a few ideas that I had completely forgotten about.  Or I'll see an idea on my list which will spark off a few other ideas which I then add to my list.  Sometimes choosing just one to write about is difficult!

Jason Mcnuttposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I like that idea.  I will start a file of ideas. thank you.

9. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 23 months ago

I like to write about problems that I run into myself. Once I find the solution, I write a hub about it. I figure if I had the problem somebody else does also.

Another idea is to write about what you know about and enjoy. Everyone has a little niche that interests them and know a lot about it to share.

10. Hendrika profile image74
    Hendrikaposted 23 months ago

I think in the end you have to look at a category that you are interested in. It is very difficult to write about something you are not interested in in the least. You can have a look though when it comes to sub-categories.

Jason Mcnuttposted 23 months ago in reply to this

The issue that I was having was choosing a category to get started in.  I do not want to limit myself.  Now I have a few projects I am working on.

11. Thomas Chan profile image83
    Thomas Chanposted 23 months ago

It is best to focus on a few (3 or 4) of your areas of interest, and hover around these topics all the time. Sometimes these topics can overlap one another. For instance, topics like time management and stress management tend to be similar in certain aspects. Do feel free to research thoroughly into topics that you are interested in. More importantly, read more books, articles and magazines; they are of great help if you hit a brick wall in writing. Cheers