jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Categorizing a not-quite-science hub about a scientific topic...

1. RockyMountainMom profile image88
    RockyMountainMomposted 2 years ago

I know this is a common conundrum, and I can typically make the most of it after digging around in the hierarchy of categories or running creative searches.  But this one has me stumped, as there's got to be a better place for it.

I moved it from Science/genetics to family and parentying/ancestry a day after I posted it, because it's not science-based (on purpose) and it's score fell quickly.  Usually out of the gate hubs gain momentum, so I'm also wondering if I killed it by taking away it's initial traffic chances?

These are musings on DNA results (I have more neanderthal dna than most people) PRIOR to learning more about the topic....my thoughts comparing life choices/personality traits to what people typically think about as "neanderthal".  Tongue-in-cheek.

So, perhaps it's more of an essay?  Or maybe just too 'personal-bloggy' for hubpages?

It's done a little better after moving it out of family and parenting genre (which is not where I would look for ancestry, and this doesn't really seem to fit in with the hubs there).  Of course that's hub score changes, not traffic, as I happened to have posted two or three new hubs while stats are frozen.

Overall, this is more about pairing it with the best and most interested audience, as I rather like it.

It just feels like there's got to be a better place for it?

http://rockymountainmom.hubpages.com/hu … erthal-DNA

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago

I think it is properly categorized in Education/Science.  It is written in an educational essay type style on a science related topic.  Your personalization of the topic makes it very interesting to read and I like how you formatted your content with specific topical subheadings.  I noticed some spelling/grammar errors, so I would do an edit to correct the errors.  It reads very well and the photos are perfect!  smile

RockyMountainMomposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much for the detail and insight (and not just because it is so positive on points I was concerned about (that I didn't even note here--you are very insightful!)).

Thank you very much for addressing the 'personal-ness' of the piece, as I've been wondering how much to temper that here on Hub Pages, but it really is my style, so it tends to happen either way.

Grammar and spelling errors would make sense these past few days, so thank you also for that feedback!

1. rebekahELLE profile image90
        rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think the personal touch is what makes it interesting to read.  I read the entire hub. I hope you find your targeted audience.  I would try finding some relevant hashtags and give it a tweet to get it out there. 
        Glad to help. smile

Thank you....I pretty much forget about hashtags, other than sharing Lyme disease articles (because I know a few off hand).  Other than that I've been forgetting about them entirely as a tool!

3. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago

I usually do a search first to see if there is a category for it by entering a hashtag and the word in the Twitter search box.  There are hashtags for just about everything!   You never know who will find it this way, but it will most likely be someone who wants to read or network about that particular topic.

Double thank you....earlier, I started looking at hashtags and got completely distracted with interesting finds.  Finally returned and was clearly on the right track, as I found your tweet (thank you!).

I get a little overstimulated on twitter, but at least now I know why  ; )

working