jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Capsule for socializing/bookmarking the hub (tweet this hub, etc)

1. WeddingConsultant profile image82
    WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago

It would be nice if there were a way to either add a capsule for bookmarking or "spreading the word" of the hub. Since we can't add buttons such as "tweet this" or "bookmark on delicious/diigo/etc." or "submit to digg/reddit" on our own, it would be sweet if a capsule could be added where some basic info could be plugged in and viola all these buttons would be created.

The beneficial potential (for both hubpages and authors) is quite high. More incoming links to the article, wider reach of hubpages on the net, etc.

The code is actually quite easy to find for some of the websites. In my spring wedding themes hub I created a text capsule and manually added the html to "tweet this" and "bookmark on delicious" (it's toward the bottom of the hub).

I'm very tempted to:

Add a text module like that for all of my hubs
    Write a hub on how to add these links to hubs (a hub to help fellow hubbers, but this would be futile if hubpages came up with the capsule on their own!)

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Scroll to the bottom of your hub. To the left of rate it buttons, there is a "Share it!" button lol

3. WeddingConsultant profile image82

Okay that's there yes, but I'm sure that gets overlooked quite often.

It's limited in that it only covers facebook, myspace, blogger, digg, SU and mixx.

Twitter is the 3rd most popular social networking website (behind FB and Myspace)...

And the location is certainly less than prominent. The easier it is for users, the more it'll get used. You know? Some people who are really thirsty might get up to get a drink but most will not. Then there are those who are really thirsty but will only get it if the fridge is less than 20 feet away. Well then there are those who will only drink if the cup is right next to them.

I'd like to cater to all crowds smile

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Well, that's HP staff call of course. To tell you the truth I did post pretty much the same request like a year ago, completely overlooking this button that I knew was there lol

5. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

You can set up a twitter feed at twitterfeed.com that automatically updates your twitter with a new tweet each time you publish a new hub, blog, etc. Basically anytime the RSS feed is updated, a tweet will go out. It checks like every 5 hours (time frame is adjustable) and pulls the latest change.

6. WeddingConsultant profile image82

Misha- I knew there was a "share it" button somewhere, but that shows you how hidden it was...I couldn't even find it until you pointed it out.

Whitney- that's certainly a good feature for sure, but that's more of a self-promotion even if it's not so spammy. I was thinking how nice it would be to open up more possibilities to have others promote our hubs. More accurately, I'd like it to be super easy for people to do that, so that we can cater to as many as possible.

With the "tweet this" thing, you could click on it, and the tweet would even already be filled out for you! (see it in action toward the bottom of my hub). The "Tweet This Article" link takes you right to twitter and pre-fills out your tweet with, "Reading about how to have a Spring Wedding http://hubpages.com/hub/Spring-Wedding-Themes-and-Ideas "...

The same is true for the "bookmark on delicious" link- it all comes pre-filled out.

This way, it gives everyone a super easy way of promoting our hubs since, let's face it, most people don't sit there and copy-paste the url into delicious, furl, reddit, etc., fill out a description and submit it. I say we make it super easy for them.

7. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 7 years ago

We're considering something along these lines for the relatively non-spammable social platform (like twitter and facebook).   Making it too easy to submit to voting type sites like digg, reddit, stumbleupon, etc. will invariably end up getting HubPages links or users either penalized or banned from those sites (if we aren't already), and therefore isn't something we are likely to do.

Mass bookmarking (especially with software aids) is often the first or second thing every new internet marketer seems to glom onto, and I'm sure some of you disagree, but I think, by and large, it's a waste of time.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image82
      WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the whole issue of spamming/over posting and I agree completely.

In fact, that's what already got us banned at propeller.com and although we're still not banned at digg/reddit, you're right- it's probably not a good idea to be able to post them there. The bookmarking sites, however, are a great idea (in my opinion), as are the "tweet this" or "facebook it" links.

Well if hubpages is already considering this, then maybe I won't write that hub on how to do something similar on hubpages using a text capsule. Thanks for the comments, Paul.