Debating on sticking with hubpages...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. CassandraCae profile image85
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

So I am debating on sticking with hubpages and I am wondering what my best form of action would be.  My website has been slowly doing better since I dedicated many of my crafting and crocheting posts there.  I am just wondering if I should start taking other articles I have written and put them on a niche website or blog.  What are you thoughts on the matter.  How have others found success.    What are some of the pros and cons to working entirely on your own?

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image82
      Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have had some wonderful people encourage me to stay when I had this same question and I would like to share this with you. It's a good way of developing your writing style and get the opinions of other writers. It also allows you to get exposure from other social medias by pinning your articles. I use Pinterest, Twitter, Google + and Facebook to interest my readings in my articles. I think this is where it really "pays off." But as far as really making money ... I haven't been successful.

Hope this helps!

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see you do crochet and crafts. I do well with my crocheting site. In fact, contact me if you do a blog or site for that and I'll add your link.My only warning is, you'll have to work just as hard if not harder to get traffic to your new blog as you do here. Be sure to pin everything to Pinterest. make tweets, and contact me and if you design your own patterns and I'll give you some hints how to get more traffic.

I noticed that some of your hubs are ones that are hard to get traffic for, because they are hard to beat the competition. Back when I began writing I was told that 20% of my hubs will bring 80% of the traffic. That figure may be worse now since there is more competition on the internet. 

I would stay here if you like to write about lots of different subjects and start a blog for your crafts and crochet if you want your own blog. What ever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you answered your own question right off the bat.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image88
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cassandra,

Actually, many Hubbers do both. With online writing, it can be a good idea to diversify your efforts and write in many places at once. If a Hub doesn't do well on HubPages, it may find more success on your blog or website. On the other hand, if a Hub is already successful here, it can be risky to move it to another platform. Best of luck!

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Working entirely on your own can be a lonely business - but it is the key to long-term success.

It sounds like you're on the right track with your craft blog so it is definitely worth pursuing.   However I wouldn't start a blog for each subject you write about - to be really successful, you need to focus on two or three blogs so you can build up their content and interact properly with your audience. 

That's where HubPages comes in - you can use HubPages as a place to put all the other stuff you just have to write, that won't fit on one of your blogs.

6. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i am currently staying at two sites, bubblews and hubages. I post serious articles at hubpages and nonsense at bubblews, both are good except the earnings are different

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Cassandra: Put your links to your blogs, web sites, etc in your profile.
    I am seeing others, who do better than myself, say they are doing better with their blogs and websites.  I have a blog that is being redesigned, but is still live, hardly any content right now and is running neck and neck with HP where I have around 70 hubs right now.  Niche sites, blogs is the best way to go from what I am reading now. My focus now is the one blog, deciding which hubs will be moved there, a little bit on Whyrll which is for products only with 100 word minimum.

3. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

My own sites do considerably better than I do on here... But I have never transferred anything from here to my own sites.

I have taken what I have written here - rewritten it and improved on it (I hope!)

I have a few links on here that point to some of my sites but not a lot.

I keep my articles here as they still earn money and the site is a good barometer of what is going on with the internet. Despite what some writers here say I find that what the site does is actually a good reflection of what Google is really looking for. The changes that they make and the ideas that they have I have on more than one occasion used for my own site and seen success.

BUT if you want to earn better money you are better off with your own sites...

1. ologsinquito profile image83
      ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LeanMan, I agree with you. Although the natural progression is to start here, and develop you own sites, you don't have to pull up everything here. Moving is such a pain, especially if someone has copied your article. Out of necessity, I did have to move some articles on another site, which was floundering, to one of my blogs, as well as to other revenue-share sites. A lot of them were copied and could not be deindexed.

4. Marie Flint profile image73
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

Cassandra, I noticed you have only been here on Hub Pages for about three months. It's too soon to bail out!

However, starting a niche blog is a great idea. I have yet to start one myself, but the thought has crossed my mind more than once.

As Marissa has said, write a niche blog and save miscellaneous articles for here.

God speed in your every success!

5. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I think you can earn good money here especially if you keep your hubs updates and add new ones. I have 3 other sites of my own and even if I earn more there, I have to pay for the site. I earn if I work really hard on promoting it which means getting more social that my time is taken up by that. Also, I have to learn many things to keep my site up to date. The learning curve for a non-techie person like me was quite steep. Many bloggers using free sites though have also done well. So, to start, this is also an option to look into. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

6. misterhollywood profile image90
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

It really depends on what your goals are. You can have both and use HP for occasional deep links to important posts/pages. I use HP in this way. I also use it to drive traffic.

7. CassandraCae profile image85
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

Thanks for all the answers.   My craft blog started in July and it's mostly dedicated to crochet but I hope to get that going more.   I have adsense approved for it and it does get more traffic in general than my hubs.   I am one of the squidoo transfers but I have been debating this before we all were moved.   Now that some of the dust has settled I am still thinking about the move.   Will probably just start another blog with a niche,  save and buy the domain and keep my random ramblings here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)