Hub was un-featured days ago and now I can't edit it to correct it

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (30 posts)
  1. hypnodoctor profile image80
    hypnodoctorposted 9 years ago

One of my Hubs was un-featured after four years of being featured. Reason: poor content?!

OK, but when I tried to edit it, it says: Sorry, you can not edit your hub while an editor is working on it.

This happened a few days ago and I still can't edit it!

The saddest part is that this is my most visited Hub and it gets Google, Yahoo! and Bing traffic and it was getting it for the past four years now.

But the new un-featured thing made the Hub go "NOINDEX", which means that at the next visit from Google, Bing and Yahoo! it will be de-indexed and I will lose all the traffic.

I wrote to support but got no answer yet. Time is of the essence here. I want to add to the content, change a few things, add some pictures etc. but I can't because of this "Editor is working on it" error.

Please help as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jeez! The message makes it sound as if HubPro is working on it. But I can't believe they'd unfeature it during the process. And they would have emailed you first.

All I can think of is to sign out of your account, close all tabs/windows, delete all cookies, delete the browser cache, reboot, and try again. Sorry.

1. lawdoctorlee profile image82
        lawdoctorleeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch & hypnodoctor,

I have the same problem!  Featured hubs become unfeatured for poor contact .  No email about unfeaturing the hubs!

hypnodoctorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote another reply below... My hub is now featured again and I got the email yesterday from the HubPro editor that she will start editing my hubs.

Everything is under control now. Looks like you just have to wait a few days. It's not too pleasant since Google might deindex your hub because of the "Noindex" meta tag on unfeatured hubs but it didn't happen.

Good luck!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi hypno,

It sounds like you have qualified for HubPro and that one of our professional Editors is helping you fix up your Hub.

If you are indeed receiving our free editing service right now, you should have received 2 emails about it. One letting you know that you qualify for the service, and another letting you know when your Editor was about to begin working on your Hub. In the second email, you will find contact info for your Editor if you'd like to get in touch with her while she's working.

Are hubs that HubPro are working on unfeatured during this process, or was that just an unlucky coincidence?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Sounds like it was just an instance of weird timing, since there is a traffic requirement for HubPro and it's more difficult for an unFeatured Hub to get traffic.

It scares the heck out of me that HP would unfeature a hub that was apparently getting daily heavy traffic (excluding felony TOS violations of course). Was that a glitch or does HP really do that?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

It sounds like his Hub was unFeatured for quality. It doesn't happen often, or to every Hub, but occasionally Hubs are re-rated, and if they receive a very low score, it is possible to have that Hub spontaneously unFeatured for quality issues.

A hub that Google and the rest of the planet loves can get thrown off the search engines by one lone rater? Something needs to be done about that. Something like:

IF hub-rated-to-be-unfeatured  THEN

IF trafficvar > x THEN

auto-email-hp-staff-member-who-will-then-make-final-decision

ELSE

unfeature-the-hub

ENDIF

ENDIF

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is news to me.  When the process was introduced, we were told Hubs couldn't be unFeatured for quality unless you edited them.  So has this changed?

In this case, the Hub was being edited which would have sent it back through QAP and therefore raise the possibility that it could be unFeatured.

1. Pcunix profile image91
                  Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me this "feature" might make some wary of HubPro.

Not a bad website you got there... smile

3. hypnodoctor profile image80

I checked the emails. I got the HubPro message (that I've been selected) - I even got it twice. I never got the message from the editor that she was beginning the editing.

All I got was a "heads-up" email that my hub was unpublished due to spammy or non-quality content. When I checked it, I saw it was changed (obviously by the HubPro editor). The changes were relatively minute, though, she only repositioned the video that was previously floating "right" and I think she deleted one of the pictures but I'm not sure.

Then the next day I got another email that said "Your Hub has been cleared for publication, and published." That's all I got. No Editor name or contact.

But the problem is that now it's not featured and I still can't edit it due to the "Sorry, editor is working on it" message.

Is there anything some technician can do? I'd really like to edit it and get it featured again. I saw that Bing already crawled (but didn't de-index it yet, thankfully). Google is sure to follow. I don't know why but I'm very nervous about this. I'm already working on another hub on the same topic but I'd really like it if I didn't lose the first one. Seems like a lot of work for nothing in the end.

I just realized that perhaps I'm panicking too much and that the editor is searching for more info on the topic to add to the hub. Is that possible?

Thank you.

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

oh i know why. because someone is still checking your hub. If you uncheck hub editor, you can edit anytime

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Just to be clear, Hubs becoming unfeatured and the HubPro editing service are unrelated. HubPro does not cause Hubs to be unpublished or unfeatured. Some of the Hubs in the HubPro queue may have quality issues or violations that cause the Hub to lose Featured status, but the program itself does not cause Hubs to become unfeatured.

Rather, a Hub that has received professional editing is very unlikely to lose Featured status for quality issues or rule violations since our Editors are trained to fix potential problems.

2. hypnodoctor profile image80
    hypnodoctorposted 9 years ago

OK, thank you. I indeed got the mail about HubPro. I did get an email saying my Hub was published again but then it was unfeatured. Some changes were made but I still can't edit it to correct/add content. I wanted to add a poll, a few images and some more cool content (admittedly this Hub is four years old but I didn't want to touch it because of the traffic it was receiving). I don't know if the Hub gets unpublished when you edit it or does the previous version stay online until an editor checks it for quality.

Anyway, thank you very much for the answers, I'll try contacting the editor if I find the email smile

Take care, keep up the good work.

3. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Of course the other option is to do a "save page as a web archive" and then remove your content and place it elsewhere.

I've had a hub unfeatured for quality which had been very successful in the past. Of course since I've opted out of HubPro - because there is absolutely no way I would let anybody edit my hubs unless I'd screened them and passed them fit for purpose first (especially given the feedback from others about the way it works!) - I won't be getting the email about HubPro!

Thing is I've edited my hub, and it has absolutely no messages for me - except some stylistic ones which I understand are optional as to whether we tackle them or not.

So why does it remain "unfeatured"? So far as I'm concerned it's fixed.

One more week and if it's still in the same state then it will out of here, closely followed by a lot of other similar ones.

I thought it was only Squidoo which went in for guessing games - and I was impressed with the message system used by HubPages. However I'm not at all impressed by the glitches.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Which one is it?   If you tell us the title, AND if you have your profile set to show unFeatured Hubs, we can have a look and perhaps one of us can solve the mystery.

Not sure what you mean by "one more week" - do you mean you've submitted it again?  Once unFeatured, it can't become Featured again unless you edit it to send it back through QAP, so it will sit there unFeatured forever.

1. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's About Georgia O'Keeffe.

I've just moved some items around in the sequence of modules and pressed Finished Editing - and this time it's come up with "Pending" which didn't happen last time I tried to sort it.

...and it's now been unpublished as it is deemed "overly promotional"!

I guess that means all my "About the Artist" will be heading for pastures new in the near future

Mind you I'm hardly going to be alone. Many of those successful on Squidoo with sites which were NOT at any time deemed "overly promotional" seem to have come to the conclusion that it's time to start moving content to new sites - not least because the traffic is so appalling on HubPages.

Mind you the traffic on HubPages might be appalling because it has a distinct tendency to eliminate sites that used to generate traffic and have been very popular over a number of years.

I wish they would change the name of that rule because it only confuses people.  "Overly Promotional" relates almost exclusively to links:  usually it means you have more than two links to the same domain, and that should generate a warning at the top of the page.

I took a look at one of your other "about the artist" Hubs and noticed numerous links all going to the Tate Gallery, and more than two to the British Museum.  That's against the rules so if you edit that Hub, it will fail QAP.

Some sites (e.g. photo sites) are whitelisted but it's a very short list.  Since not many Hubbers write about art, I think it's unlikely they've had a request to whitelist the Tate.  It might be worth an email to team@hubpages to ask if they would consider adding the Tate, British Museum etc.

Traffic is appalling because HubPages got hammered by the recent Panda.   You only have to look at the Quantcast figures to see that - and Paul Edmonson has said that for the first time, this Panda affected almost every sub-domain.

Marisa - it did use to have that warning - and I sorted it and cleared the links identified in the warning.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with the "overly promotional" rules. They apply the same rules whether the hub has 500 words or 7,500 words. I've been writing long blog posts which the rules would deem "overly promotional" for years i.e. more than two links to the same domain (such as major art museums) - and my blog gets more traffic in a day than all my hubs get in a week. I rather think that means Google doesn't give a stuff about HubPages rules and instead prefers to send traffic to people who are experts in their area - as evidenced by my blog traffic which hasn't been affected at all by the Panda update

Anyway, the bottom line for me is since the HubPages model does not recognise high quality sites that are relevant to a topic - and hence does not fit my content - I shall start moving the content.  I'm not going to downgrade my content to fit in with HubPages notion of what a quality page is re. links.

In my view Panda has affected HubPages significantly because it imported and now displays a lot of low quality lenses from squidoo which were NOT originally featured on Squidoo.  How weird is that? (I've explained why this happened in another post and won't do so again - bottom line a huge number of featured lenses disappeared from Squidoo prior to the transfer) That can't be good for the site. 

In the meantime very many former lensmasters are very disillusioned with HubPages and are or will be moving content - and I'm one of them.

I don't blame you, but if you want to leave some in place, a simple email to the team requesting they whitelist those reputable art institutions wouldn't hurt.

4. Hendrika profile image67
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

Thanks you for drawing my attention to this. I have only once had a Hub unfeatured for content, but it was before HubPro and I only added some content in it was featured again, but know I realize there is a new threat looming!sad

Hello everyone, just wanted to say everything is back to normal now. The Hub was featured again. And I got a letter from the HubPro editor yesterday.

Sorry for all the commotion, I guess I overreacted a bit.

So, the Hub is now featured again, looks like it just took another quality assessment and it was unfeatured meanwhile. Thank you everyone for your inputs and sorry again for causing distress.

Have a wonderful day.

1. lawdoctorlee profile image82
        lawdoctorleeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had the same concerns...thanks for sharing your question.  Since I had no clue what HubPro was (perhaps I deleted that email by mistake) I went looking for an explanation.  I found this and figured I'd share it. 

http://hubpages.com/faq/#HubPro-Beta

5. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

So, I now have a hub with a score of 100, which has been throughQAP multiple times since coming here from Squidoo--one of my most successful pages ever--suddenly unfeatured for quality. What a joke, HubPages. I have nothing nice to say.

Ditto for many other former lensmasters

I'm thinking they removed the Squidoo Forum too soon.

Or at least the quantity of comment about unfeatured and unpublished lenses which is going on in other places would suggest this to be the case.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)