.EDU LINKS?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Ghaaz B profile image65
    Ghaaz Bposted 9 years ago

I'm wondering if, while making an info-heavy blog, linking to sites like Wikipedia and, more specifically, chemwiki.ucdavis.edu, will negatively effect my Hubscore/GoogleLove?

I'm inclined to think it would be a good thing, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

edu links means that they are from an educational institution and will rarely have a negative effect. On the contrary if your article is about topics that these institutions cover/ deal in/are experts on they will more than likely positively affect your ranking

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

An .edu site, if it is relevant to your content, almost always has excellent domain authority which can be helpful.

3. micko27 profile image67
    micko27posted 9 years ago

In general, linking to authority sites (like quality .edu) is good for SEO. But honestly I do not know how hubpages treat it. I suppose they have no intelligent algo for measuring outbound links so I think they will count it as another link. So don't overuse it.

For google, I suppose it will be good and your profile subdomain will gain some strength with it.

4. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

wikipedia is a big NO

"But how can I use to this to my SEO advantage? First of all, Wikipedia does not give out link juice – all of their links are nofollow. Secondly, they do not want you to add any links that you associate with in any way, so you can’t be obvious about it. Thirdly, your website can be added to a spam list if links to your website keep continually getting added to Wikipedia articles, so watch out for that. With all that in mind, it most definitely will be worth the trouble. Not only is it a trusted link in Google’s eyes, it is also a great source of traffic. " http://pointblankseo.com/wikipedia-seo-purposes

"Moral of the story: Wikipedia maybe won't send you directly great traffic, but to have a link in it gives authority to your site, therefore others will tend to cite your site and link to it." http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307 … uable.aspx

Need any more?????

2. micko27 profile image67
      micko27posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think he is asking to LINK TO wikipedia, not to get link FROM wikipedia. So I think linking to wikipedia or other relevant and authority sources is OK to do. If you think that is BIG NO please elaborate smile

5. Ghaaz B profile image65
    Ghaaz Bposted 9 years ago

No, thanks you very much! My question has been thoroughly answered smile

As far as Wikipedia, I tend to use it to link out at the first appearance of any word that I think general readers might need a definition of. For example, when I write about chemistry, I tend to link to the laws of thermodynamics on Wikipedia within the first few paragraphs, almost always.

I was just seeing how Hubpages specifically treats these links, but also was curious about Google info too, so thanks again everyone!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Careful, your Hub could get unpublished for that.   

The rule on HubPages is that every link must be completely relevant to the main subject of your Hub.   

If you're using Wikipedia links to give definitions for random words, those links may not be directly relevant to your main subject.

I third the view that linking to Wikipedia can do more harm than good.  I'm immediately suspicious of any article that refers to Wikipedia as an authority - any real expert on a subject would be able to offer far better references.

Anyway, there is nothing more annoying than reading a Hub which is a sea of distracting blue links.

6. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Fyi: you can use Google Scholar to find relative research and link directly to that research item. They are almost always hosted on .edu sites or on sites that host peer reviewed journals with an ultra high domain authority. I've read that the higher up in the article you link to an authority website, the better Google likes it.

7. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

It is my understanding that we are not supposed to link to Wikipedia, as some information is not reliable.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Any resource that you do not research can be unreliable.  That's why you do research.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

HP likes Wikipedia so does Google. They consider this pile of whatever and authoritative site. Articles on there are written by anybody.

1. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, their works are not peer-reviewed and not always accurate -- I agree, based on professional experience and training in research, with not using Wikipedia links, but only some Wikimedia images/links, if they are definitely legally useable - Twice, I was notified that specific Wikimedia CC and public-domain images I used were actually copyrighted and the owners did not want them used. The owners were civil about it and, doing my own in-depth checking, found that the images were, in fact, copyrighted before the related Wikipedia articles were written by others.   

I never use Wikipedia as any type of reference, because of the large errors I have found in their writings, but I do look at the references listed at the end of some of their articles; a few of these references have proven useful.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you fact check them beforehand they can be useful to link to in content farm pieces because they are generally written so laymen can understand them. It bypasses the need to explain the content of studies you link to.   

I've found Wikipedia to be a goldmine, not so much for the actual entries but for the sources most entries have. I always seem to find at least something good at the bottom of the page on Wikipedia.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

It is more efficient to do my own research than to fact check Wikipedia articles at this time. I am satisfied that the site includes too much erroneous information to be useful, because out of three trials of 20 diverse articles each two years ago, I found 17 out of 20, 19 out of 20, and 18 out of 20 to contain substantial, numerous, and important errors. That was enough to be off putting and reason enough for me to not use the materials even today.

The references at the end of Wikipedia articles do often contain useful sources.

9. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

My experience has shown when too many links are made to the same site HP is unhappy regardless the quality.

1. misterhollywood profile image91
      misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same here!

10. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

I find information and make sure I double check it and don't use links for text info. It's great for photos once you get used to their format. Re edu sites, some won't link, but it's good to try anyway.

11. FitnezzJim profile image76
    FitnezzJimposted 9 years ago

Recently, I have found Wikipedia to be my preferred site for information relative to current events. They seem to avoid the biased style of presentations we see on broadcast or cable news.  Instead, they present links to those other sources at the bottom of their articles.  That style comes across as much more fact-based, with sources referenced, than what we might see on the news.

That said, I'd probably seek out other sites to reference for academic topics.

If you are like me, you might wonder whether any of your past articles link to edu or Wikipedia sties.  To find out, I ended up visiting google search, and doing a search on the phrase “Wikipedia site:fitnezzjim.hubpages.com”.  In this case the search requests looks for the word wikipedia in my hubpages subdomain.  The part that comes after the 'site:' keyword can designate any internet universal resource name you choose to search.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

Thank you for the information, Fitnezzjim; I'll look at Wikipedia concerning current events in the future.

1. FitnezzJim profile image76
        FitnezzJimposted 9 years agoin reply to this

welcome.  Now if I can learn to type smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)