jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Hubbers' comments being marked as Spam - check your spam folder

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 23 months ago

I just checked the Spam section of my Comments and found three genuine comments from other Hubbers!

I can't see any reason for it - none of them contained links and all of them were a decent length.   The only common denominator I can see is that they are all ex-Squids.

I suggest everyone else check their spam folders too!

1. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 23 months ago in reply to this

I've had that happen a few times in the past. I've had them sitting there for months and finally found them marked as spam. Always wondered why.

2. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Sure enough, when I checked my spam folder, I had two legitimate comments marked as spam. Also, had about 30 actual spam comments. I've never had that many here at HP. But looked like it all came from the same place.

3. relache profile image86
      relacheposted 23 months ago in reply to this

If those people left similar comments on other Hubs in a short range of time, that could flip the filter that marks you as a spammer.  I've seen that happen to HubPages users before who were commenting genuinely but triggered a system response.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image84
      The Examiner-1posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Who were they from? There is a new (as far as I know) Hubber going around answering questions all over. When I looked at the profile - Hubs/0, forums/0,      Q&A/0, but there are two accolades and one is 10 best answers. Strange.
      There are also followers.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 23 months ago in reply to this

They were all from ex-Squids who have several Hubs and are fairly active on the forum. Definitely not spammers!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image84
          The Examiner-1posted 23 months ago in reply to this

I checked my spam and there was one from 4 weeks ago. He has been here for two years.

5. AliciaC profile image96
      AliciaCposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Thank you very much for the suggestion, Marisa. There are a lot of spam comments in my folder, but there are also genuine comments that I never approved or responded to. The poor commenters must have wondered why they were ignored. I'll check the folder regularly from now on.

6. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 23 months ago in reply to this

thanks for the reminders, i will check mine too

7. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 23 months ago in reply to this

As with SPAM filters for email, there are going to be some false positives.
      We suggest reviewing the comments on your Hubs on a periodic basis.

That being said, it is unusual for signed in users to show as SPAM (unless there IP was identified as problematic or something similar).

If you have the details can you send the user, comment, and Hub to team at hubpages dot com attention Matt M?

We can then look into it further to determine what might be going on.

2. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 23 months ago

I found many of them, but most are 2 years old and older. I wish I had checked this before, especially the ones that had questions.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 23 months ago

I have had a few legitimate comments marked as spam, but mostly those that are marked as spam are real spam.  I found a few who are now banned from the site. I found one beautiful comment from two months ago from writer fox. I wish I would have seen it at that time!

4. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 23 months ago via iphone

Pray that never happens.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 23 months ago

I found about 32 (plus several that were spam) real comments and had no idea that they had been marked as spam...Thanks!

6. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 23 months ago

I checked my 'spam' comments several months ago and found a couple of old comments that needed to be re-categorized. Now, I do check it once in awhile. Good reminder.

7. Solaras profile image91
    Solarasposted 23 months ago

Thanks for mentioning this.  I never knew there was a comments folder to check.  I just approved 25 comments that have been sitting there.  Now I have a lot of comments to respond too!

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 23 months ago

I've been here over 6years and didn't think to check that...roll
    I just checked and they were all banned so I guess it was justified.