jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

Penguin Refresh Happening Now

1. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12029787_f520.jpg
    just sharing this in case you didn't know. Since Thanksgiving (really before) Google has been in Penguin Refresh mode. This means they are targeting "spammy" sites. Could explain some of the drama happening here.

http://searchengineland.com/google-peng … ing-209886

1. 0
      Deborah Sextonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What Dramas ?

1. Hendrika profile image70
        Hendrikaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Lots of Hubs going to unfeatured for quality the last few days

1. Don Bobbitt profile image92
          Don Bobbittposted 2 years ago in reply to this

FYI, Featured or Unfeathured is an HP thing. Google could cre less.
          DON

1. psycheskinner profile image81
            psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Its an HP thing that changes which hubs Google indexes--ergo is about Google too because it literally tells them which hubs they should "care" about.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not really, because Paul Edmonson explained that was caused by a change in HubPages' own systems.

3. OldRoses profile image84
      OldRosesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My traffic has tanked since the Panda rollout, down to almost zero on Thanksgiving day.  This week, though, my traffic is starting to recover.  Fingers crossed that it continues.

4. peachpurple profile image77
      peachpurpleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

gee, really? a couple days ago, my traffic was superb, now back to square one. Really is the Penguin thing?

2. Availiasvision profile image90
    Availiasvisionposted 2 years ago

I'm glad that hubpages is raising the bar against spam.  I've been seeing tons of shorter articles, spam infested ones, and ones written in languages other than standard English.  Some have been unintelligible.  I could have Siri write me a better article than some of the junk spun and poorly translated articles that have been coming through. A higher bar helps us all and make this site more searchable and professional looking.

So True. I was really upset when they took away the option to tag and complain about a trashy article, and just let us "block" it from our list. I did get off on venting a little. LOL!
      DON

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

When did they do that?  I can still see the Report flag at the top of hubs.

Yeah, The flag is still there but the "comment" part is gone. Now it is just a multiple choice.
          DON

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

Is that when you're Hub Hopping?

If you're just reading Hubs, you can still comment.   Click on the relevant reason in the multiple choice, and a box opens for you to write a comment.

2. ThelmaC profile image92
      ThelmaCposted 2 years ago in reply to this

When you see those problems in a hub, be sure to flag it.  Spammy and poor quality hubs hurt all of us.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Those who had their hubs unfeatured were article. Some had 100 hubs unfeatured. I don't think those of us who spoke up had spun articles, poorly translated articles.  Those hubs were probably left alone.

1. Solaras profile image91
      Solarasposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not necessarily.  I would not expect the authors of spam, spun or stolen content to jump up and down in the forums about being unfeatured.  Hopefully they did catch a lot of garbage in their net too.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12033978.jpg

Bad penguin........me??? Now why would you think that!!!

working