jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)

Backlinks and Penguin

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

I thought this was a good general guide for links especially in light of the on-going and recent Penguin updates.
    http://www.receptional.com/blog/19-thin … uild-links

1. colorfulone profile image89
      colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This is interesting to read by professionals.
      "Google Panda and Penguin changed the game and changed the link based SEO industry forever."
      http://backlinkreport.net/penguin-strategy

2. colorfulone profile image89

The Learning Center: "The Hub is Overly Promotional" http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732854

"There are places on the web to publish solely for backlinks; HubPages is not one of them."

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

That article was published January 8, 2014, to comment on changes made in 2013.

I'm not sure all that advice still stands in the wake of the latest Google tweaks.

1. makingamark profile image72
      makingamarkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Agreed - the ONLY articles which are currently relevant are those that relates to the Penguin update which started to roll out last month.

Basically nothing earlier than November 2014 is relevant.

So, for example, this one published on Thursday 4th December is relevant and helpful given it has a flowchart to help people understand the differences between Panda and Penguin

http://searchengineland.com/site-hit-pa … ind-209384

NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

You mean all those rules Google had prior are now irrelevant. Seems unlikely to me.

1. makingamark profile image72

That's NOT what I said at all.

The problem is that previous articles will include things which may well have been updated and changed in subsequent updates - so unless you know precisely what they are, any such links should be shared with caution.

It's exactly what you said, now you changed it. You get funnier by the minute.

In case your eyesight is bad here's me quoting you: "Basically nothing earlier than November 2014 is relevant."

1. Solaras profile image91
              Solarasposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I do believe that these articles tend to build on each other over the months and years.  Pros feel like they may be redundant, and leave off some good points that seem obvious to them and other pros, in favor of new discoveries. 

I think there is great value in both one year old and current articles, especially if the current article offers a new take on an old practice.  It helps one to understand the change and differences.

I agree with what you say, it only makes sense that the pro articles build on each other concerning Penguin / Backlinks.

I don't believe Google rolls out a brand new Penguin every time. It is the same software, but it has been updated (tweaked). I could be wrong.

2. NateB11 profile image91

Plus, all that flow chart gives is information on whether you've been hit by Penguin, not much on why; ironically in the few cases they refer to why, it is also covered in the article I posted. Hahaha! Funny stuff.

To top it off, the flow chart just tells you to consult an expert for the most part and then refers to other Moz articles at other points.

Not sure how this article you've posted is more helpful than the one I posted.

3. NateB11 profile image91

Here's one from the article I posted that I know is still relevant and most likely always will be: Don't spam blogs with spammy comments with spammy links. That's just off the top of my head. There's more.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
          Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Nate.

2. makingamark profile image72

Then there's "look at the source of the article and consider its status in the world of online comments on Google matters"........

we could go on smile

Right on, Nate.
            Google Penguin is about finding spam and unnatural links and giving penalties to websites where they find them.

working