Copied article

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. CrisSp profile image72
    CrisSpposted 9 years ago

I'm quite pissed that one of my high ranking articles on HubPages has been stolen and re-published online without my knowledge.  The plagiarist, however, had kept my HP name at the bottom but without credit and mention of HP.  Should I pursue to notify the plagiarist or leave the matter? I can't send a message or leave a comment on the site since it's on wordpress and I don't have wordpress account to log on site. Any hubbers out there who could help me draw the attention of this person who copied it and flag it down? I mean any wordpress users? Here's the site: http://www.handfootcare.com/cat-poop-co … the-world/

1. Barack James profile image93
      Barack Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First think to do is to find the contacts of the site owner or admin and ask em to take down the content or else you'll file the DMCA: That has worked for me few months ago when my hub was published on another site. If that fails; try hard to find contacts of the hosting company from whois and inform them of the act and they will assist. If all fails, file the DMCA!

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to know about this!
      Two of my most popular hubs were copied on Wordpress and one other site, in October and HP notified me by providing links. The copied content did not have my name or HP name as well, but it was copied word to word.
      I had filed DMCA and wordpress removed the content but the other site has still not removed it. The red 'C' mark is still visible on my hub.
      As you said, I could not comment on the copied content.
      I wish something could be done about this. Wish you good luck!

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This same site copied one of my hubs. I filed a DMCA and nothing happened. It is still there. I guess the only thing left is to report them to Google. The problem is that reporting them won't take down the content, but it will remove them from their search.

I never was able to find any way to contact the owner, but I reported it to the hosting company.

4. Miebakagh57 profile image70
      Miebakagh57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

With the link provide, I visit the page. It seems also that wordpress did not power the site, because I try to login and to report your complaint to wordpress. My password user name and email all were denied on the site and I was very suspious and surprised that that I should forget my password, user name and email! Changing my password on the word press application on the website did not help matter, so I have to login to wordpress.com to verify my login on firefox browser, all my login detail work  well. Let's see if Google can help.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for trying.

2. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

I just checked it out, they didn't even bother to remove your ebay/Amazon links or polls, which is totally out of context without the actual links.  How incredibly lazy.

Hope you get them..

CrisSpposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Michael Kismet: I know! How stupid is that, eh?

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I had the same problem several month ago. I contacted the person and asked her to remove my article from her site or I would take further steps to do so myself. She not only removed it immediately, but apologized profusely.  If she had not removed it, I would have filed a DMCA. 

This is frustrating that people continue to violate copyrights - hope you get this cleared up quickly.

4. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this.  I've had this happen in the past.  It's a terrible violation. I would try notifying the violator first.  I've found that often this works.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I found this information: Hosting provider: WholeSale Internet
    WHOIS: Click Here
    IP Address: 69.197.128.210
    Name Servers:
    ns54.domaincontrol.com
    ns53.domaincontrol.com

Clicking on the Whois took me to Go Daddy.

This is where I got information: http://www.whoishostingthis.com/?q=hand foot care.xxx

1. language-services profile image61
      language-servicesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Also, the registrar name is Kumar Rajnish. I searched the name a little but didn't find anything.

language-service: Thank you. Kumar Rajnish is a common name but I'll try and get him. I guess my last resort is to file DMCA.

1. language-services profile image61
          language-servicesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I found several Facebook profiles, twitters and a Linkedin, none seemed to be the right ones though. It was my pleasure.

2. CrisSp profile image72

LindaSmith1: Thank you. I'm checking right now. That's really very helpful.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

The theme of that WP is from Gazpo possibly connected with Blue Host.    Hopefully, someone who is more skilled at tracking these sites down can use my information and get down to exact information.

7. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

Hi! CrisSp, I am sorry to hear about your copied content. How did you find out about it? Is there a way of finding if your article is copied? I won't even know if mine is copied.

1. Barack James profile image93
      Barack Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Copy the first paragraph of the hub (webpage) that you suspect has been copied and paste on Google search; remember to put it btw quotation mark. All webpages with exact match will show in the search results... This is effective if the content thief scrapped everything from opening  to closing paragraph. If results show your URL only, you are safe!

2. CrisSp profile image72

liesl5858: HP will mark your article with a "red ©" when you go to my account plus there's a warning.  You can also search your own article on google and see what would come up. This is the second time it happened to me but the other thief though was nice enough to put my HP link on another article unlike this recent one. It's just frustrating! You can also do what Barack James says above. Good luck!

8. WestelCS profile image60
    WestelCSposted 9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. I think it’s too late to answer the query but rather asking site owner or admin to take down the content, file DMCA as well flag the content that was published without your consent.

9. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

This seems to be quite common. I looked at the site through the link you posted and I see your problem. I just found one of my hubs posted on a website similar to Pinterest. It was posted by somebody who calls herself woozyhairstyle493. She copied my hub about my underground house with no attribution, removed the photos and inserted a photo of a brick McMansion, which isn't even pertinent to the subject matter. I found a contact email for the website and have asked them to remove my material. I haven't had time to receive a reply yet, but we will see. Once before I had this same hub copied with photos and no attribution, but I couldn't find a source to protest.
    Personally, I think Pinterest has caused a bunch of wannabees to pop up, and we will be seeing more of this in the future. I think it was a mistake for HubPages to allow Pinterest to get its foot in the door.
    I hope you get your dilemma solved. Good luck.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I heard back from the webmaster of the hub who basically disclaims any responsibility for what is posted on their site. To quote "Unfortunately Issuu is unable to edit or censor a user-submitted document." I warned them that putting a disclaimer on plagiarized material doesn't absolve them of any responsibility if they allow it to remain. I'm sure that won't do any good, but at least they are forewarned. This having to file a DMCA is for the birds.

10. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

If it's not easy to find contact information for a webmaster/site owner, then they really don't want to be contacted and, in most of those cases I've come across, those kinds of site owners make a habit of plagiarism. Just go right to the web host and Google too and file the DMCAs.

11. CrisSp profile image72
    CrisSpposted 9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the concern and tips on how to get this thief. I was just thinking if any hubbers out there with wordpress account who could shoot a message to this person by commenting on the article that he stole it from me. So, hopefully he'll be warned that WE know he's a thief and he should put it down. If that would at all make sense. *annoyed*

12. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

Talked to a journalist friend this morning and he was upset about his work being stolen.  Its not just H.P.

tirelesstraveler: Really? That's awful. Sorry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)