jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)

A problem with the new design

1. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 2 years ago

The new design is linking to NEVER PUBLISHED hubs which are a work in progress while in "Published" mode.

So, when I'm logged in my hub "Great British Sculpture, Sculptors and Land Artists" http://makingamark.hubpages.com/hub/Gre … nd-Artists the 'Previous' link at the bottom of the hub is to http://makingamark.hubpages.com/hub/sculpture-gardens and if I click the link I can see an incredibly underdeveloped hub! I was quite horrified to start with - thinking it could be seen by everybody!

Now I know only I can see it (I hope!) - because I'm logged in - but shouldn't edit mode ONLY show those hubs which can be seen when published and hence WIP hubs should never ever be included?

At the same time this hub is NOT picking up hubs for the "Previous" and "Next" slots re. other PUBLISHED hubs in the group I've set up for sculpture and land art e.g. hubs relating to great British sculptors!

Bottom line I'm very puzzled as to what's happening at the bottom of my hubs!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image88
      Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The links at the bottom are not chosen by HubPages. They are chosen by you!  Go to the groups function and select the group you want to put your hubs in.  You can create a group just to give a place for your unfinished hubs to play together, but I just let them be orphans.  That does mean I have to make sure I put all published hubs into groups, and make sure that unpublished hubs stay out of those groups.

makingamarkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not true - they seem to pick up two only of my hubs, the rest are any which might seem to be related irrespective of whether or not I have more even MORE related hubs

2. calculus-geometry profile image87
        calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are two different groups of hubs at the bottom of every hub.  The two called 'previous' and 'next' are chosen by the author via groups, but the five 'discover more' hubs are selected by HP.  Out of the seven you only  have control over two.   

You can increase your chances of your own hubs showing up as some of the five 'discover more' hubs if you write lots of hubs around the same theme and put them in the same category.

2. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My experience is that the old design does this to, but it's only something that the Hub author sees, and it does not actually show up to any other visitors.

I notice you only tested the phenomena while logged in and on your own Hubs.  You might want to log out and explore the scenario to see what your visitors see.

I in fact tested it both ways.  The point I was making is surely what we see in Edit Mode should be what we see in published mode.

Another point I've made elsewhere is that this is the least effective placement if you want to actually generate traffic to related hubs.  Near the top of the side column works much better.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image93
          Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is where the new format is featuring another one of your hubs. I noticed that it is always changing which helps give more of your hubs a chance to be seen. I haven't paid attention to if there is any reason for the choice, but I think it is related to ones in the same grouping. I'll have to test it out. All in all, I like the new format.

I'm not interested in it featuring any old one of my hubs - I want it to feature a RELEVANT hub.

That's because I've had this arrangement before elsewhere and it works very well - so long as the hub featured is relevant i.e. "on topic" in a specific sense e.g. a hub within the designated group that the original hub is a member of.

1. DrMark1961 profile image90
              DrMark1961posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you on this. I would like the ability to select the hub that is going to be featured so that it is relevant!

2. Judy Filarecki profile image93

I just checked about 20 of my hubs and all of the featured hubs in the right column were relevant except one. I have two niches and have grouped my hubs accordingly and that seems to work. The one that was not relevant was an odd one that is not in any niche group. Have you taken the ti me to group your hubs?

1. DrMark1961 profile image90
                DrMark1961posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Judy, those selections are made by topic, not group.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image93

Thanks for the correction. What ever it is, it works for me. I have all my Food and Cooking Hubs grouped and all my Art and Design ones grouped. Most of each of them are under the same sub-group with a few exceptions, so I guess that is why it works for me.

working