jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How can I improve my hub?

1. timmartin profile image
    timmartinposted 22 months ago

Hi, I'm looking for feedback on my hub. Please let me know what you think I can do to improve this hub (text? images? more capsules?). Please be honest! Thank you in advance

http://timmartin.hubpages.com/hub/Bakin … ad-at-Home

2. johndwilliams profile image85
    johndwilliamsposted 22 months ago

Initial thoughts

Way too many photos - although they tell a story.

Also where is your writing? You must have a word count at about 100?

3. timmartin profile image
    timmartinposted 22 months ago

Thanks for your feedback John!

The word count is 247 but I agree you make a great point about there being many pictures and few words.

4. johndwilliams profile image85
    johndwilliamsposted 22 months ago

No Worries Tim, like I said the photos tell a story and work really well. Back it up with good word count with choice keywords and it will be great!

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 22 months ago

Hi Tim,
    I see that you are on the HubPages staff.  What do you do there?

I looked at your hub and found it to be entertaining and fun to read.  Some of the hints could be useful but I think you should change the presentation. The way it reads now, you have to buy the book and read your hub along with the book.  If this were my hub, I would make it a stand-alone hub.  You can mention the specific recipe you were following, but maybe have it be 5 Top Tips for Baking Bread or something like that.  I would use text capsules instead of photo descriptions to describe the tips.  They will be a bigger font so they stand out more.  I would probably try to elaborate a bit in the capsules the problem and how your tip solves this problem. Definitely needs more words!

I don't know what knob cracked.  Maybe that is just due to my unfamiliarity with dutch ovens. 

There are some minor grammatical errors, so you might want to proofread. For example "Our cracked off from the very high temperature. " should be "Ours"

The very last picture says "you're almost there" which is odd since it is the end of the hub.  You might want to move that wording up, and include something more finished at the end, like "Ready to eat!"

And yes, now that you have tortured me with these photos, I will be happy to accept bread as payment for this advice!

1. timmartin profile image
      timmartinposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Hi Mellionaire Tips,

Wow, thank you for the tips! Yes I am HubPages staff in engineering. Someone mentioned this great forum in a meeting so I figured I'd try it. And wow, what great advice I've gotten. I'll spend some time updating my hub and repost the updated version for all to see soon.

And yes next time you're in SF I highly recommend tasting the bread baked by the pros at Tartine bakery.