jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Why the sudden increase in spam on my Hub comments?

1. Marie Gail profile image88
    Marie Gailposted 22 months ago

This week, several of my older hubs received comments. My delight upon hearing the news was short lived. All of them are written in horrid grammar and about half of them are clearly spam--either nonsensical code-like characters or advertisements for products not mentioned in my Hubs. Is anyone else experiencing this? What is the reason behind it?

I have denied the obviously spammy responses and reported them. The ones that sound like an individual is confused or posted in the wrong forum I have provided with a response requesting that they repost on the Hub to which they are actually responding. Is there anything else I should do?

2. fpherj48 profile image80
    fpherj48posted 22 months ago

Marie.....Every once in a while, it's my experience that the door to the flight deck has been left unlocked and some of the inpatients wander off into hubville, without purpose and quite clueless.  You've done what is necessary and simply continue to delete, ignore and give no acknowledgement whatsoever.  Eventually they find their way back to the Day Room and resume the arts & crafts of the day.   After all, where can we go in life where an encounter or two with challenges does not occur.
    Keep your sense of humor in tact.....allow them there oddities......and move on.   these are the moments we're offered continuing education.  A few nuts & fruits add to the buffet!......Peace, Paula

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I love this visual Paula.  Well said!

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Good one! lol

Yep, every once in awhile we get a spam invasion. Such is life.

3. Marie Gail profile image88
      Marie Gailposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Haha! Good way to look at it.

3. johndwilliams profile image84
    johndwilliamsposted 22 months ago

They're probably spam bots.. auto-generating scripts of goobledee-gook, and not real humans.

A couple are, I am sure. A few of the others are a little too literate (although not literate enough to be hubbers). I just think it's weird that so many are showing up on a variety of my hubs when I haven't had this happen before. Looks like they are specifically targeting food and health articles.

4. Carb Diva profile image89
    Carb Divaposted 22 months ago

I agree with Marie Gail. The majority of my hubs are in the Food category. I have never had "spammy" comments until this past weekend. What's up?

5. paperfacets profile image83
    paperfacetsposted 22 months ago

This happened to me . First I blocked all comments, two days later, I made the global setting for logged in only. They have stopped. Maybe I will open them for everyone in a few days.

6. Blake Flannery profile image90
    Blake Flanneryposted 22 months ago

Recently I only allow comments written in standard English and spelling. That even goes for Hubpages members. If the comment is from a hubber, it needs to have some creativity to it. I would rather you argue against me in the comments than just write "thanx nice one looking forward to more like this from you." That kind of comment does not make me want to visit your hubs.
    When I was new to the site, I allowed just about any comment I could get. I thought at the time that these were actual fans. Now I have a different view.

I like this idea, Drake. Thanks for sharing.