jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Hub Writing - What Is Your Biggest Challenge?

1. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 22 months ago

My goal is to create a catchy title for my hubs.  This is my biggest challenge.  Learning how to use Key Words used to be my goal, and I'd still like to conquer this, but I'm laying this aside to concentrate on better titles for my hubs.  What about you? Do you have a hub goal or challenge?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 22 months ago in reply to this

That is a tough challenge!  I came from old-school journalism lessons and print media, in which you create a 'catchy' title as a "hook" to draw the reader in.
      I've painfully learned that "The Big G" does not like catchy titles, and penalizes them by dropping them to page upmteen thousand in the search results.  They want straightforward, boring, titles, and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish both at the same time.

2. Faith Reaper profile image86
      Faith Reaperposted 22 months ago in reply to this

That is a great goal, Audrey.  I have gone back and tried to change most of titles to Google-friendly (or interesting) titles when I am able to do so, as it truly does make a difference. However, our idea of "catchy" titles does not seem to be the same as Google thinks are great titles ... At this point though, my biggest challenge is to find time to publish something, for here of late, life as me overloaded it seems. I look back at the times when I was publishing a hub twice a week for almost two years, or at least one hub week. But now it seems I desire to publish only when I have something really wonderful to share to impact others in some small way.  In other words, I have decided not to just publish something just to publish something, if that makes any sense.  I am trying to set the bar higher for myself, but we that remains to be seen.  Have a great weekend ahead.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 22 months ago in reply to this

As some others have said - if you're trying to create catchy titles, chances are you're going to destroy your traffic in the process.

The way to get readers is to attract Google, and Google uses your title to decide what your Hub is about.  If you use a catchy or clever title, it's likely it won't reflect the topic as clearly as a straightforward title.  If the robots can't understand it, the Hub won't be included in the search engine results. 

By all means do something catchy or enticing in your summary.

4. peachpurple profile image79
      peachpurpleposted 22 months ago in reply to this

i find that my biggest challenge is the contents and title, i have the pictures but don't know what to write

5. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 22 months ago in reply to this

Editing is the hardest part of my writing process. I do 12 hard copy edits before I publish and it's exhausting.  But worth it. Titles have never been a problem.  Hub ideas come naturally. So I guess I'm lucky in that way.

6. Genna East profile image88
      Genna Eastposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Hi Audrey.  Good question.  My biggest challenge is in finding the time to write.  However, even when I do, it is the proof-reading and spell check that are still my nemesis.  I always overlook at least one typo that causes me so much embarrassment.  I'm still working on this. :-)

7. DaveOnline profile image89
      DaveOnlineposted 22 months ago in reply to this

My biggest challenge in writing hubs is to decide on a topic to write about, I might start something offline and decide not to go further with it. I also get sidelined spending too much time reading emails and then going off on a tangent with them. I enjoy writing though and want to continue.

2. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 22 months ago

My biggest challenge for the types of hubs I write is actually finding the time to create the project or prepare the recipe and then remember to take pictures along the way.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image83
    The Examiner-1posted 22 months ago

Tying to make my Hubs more attractable to hold readers to the end. I get many views, but they only read half or part of it.

4. easylearningweb profile image90
    easylearningwebposted 22 months ago

My biggest challenge right now is the 30 Hubs in 30 Days I have setup for myself. I'm on day 8 and I'm flying so far, but gotta keep climbing and writing. It's a big learning experience for me. My next challenge after that is to go back to my old Hubs, and try to enhance, optimize and see about getting the scores up!

5. cperuzzi profile image94
    cperuzziposted 22 months ago

Thinking of a topic and then figuring how to make it witty.

The flow is easy.  I just think of having a one way conversation with my very best friend.  That usually does the trick.

Once that's done, the rest is time and details.

6. aesta1 profile image88
    aesta1posted 22 months ago

I have not written anything new here. I am studying the style and will do one when I am more comfortable. I also had to spend time editing lenses transferred here. Now, there's a new format and I haven't even looked into this yet. My challenge is to find topics that would really get people's attention so I can improve my traffic.

7. Barbara Kay profile image85
    Barbara Kayposted 22 months ago

My biggest problem is motivation. Anything I want to write about already has over a million pages about already.

8. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

My biggest challenge is always what my next hub will be. Recently there have been a lot of people issuing hub challenges and this had made it easy for me.. providing a topic, prompt or type of writing to form a hub around. When there are no more challenges I have to think up something on my own and sometimes that takes a week or more to come up with something original or unique. I prefer a catchy title any time, but I have come to compromise with Google just a little in this regard.

9. chefmancave profile image85
    chefmancaveposted 22 months ago

My biggest challenge (and most time consuming) is doing keyword research. Using the research I craft a title and description that is google friendly. I have tried several Keyword tools but none of them are well suited for Hubpages.

10. William Sinclair profile image82
    William Sinclairposted 22 months ago

Mine so far is trying to give my writing style some flair. I've noticed that I often have all the information in my head, and know what I want to say, but don't know how to write it in a way that wont be dull. I'm new here though, so I'm sure I can improve on this over time.