jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Sincere Interaction or Spam?

1. t aaron brown profile image85
    t aaron brownposted 22 months ago

Hi, I have recently joined and it is going to take awhile to learn the customs and rules.

Is the following fellow hubber interaction genuine or are they trying to spam my account?  Are they just trying to direct traffic from me to them?

"I wanted to welcome you to the hub pages. I also wanted to be one of your very first followers here at the hub pages. Please stop by when you have an extra moment and check out some of my hubs. I'm sure I'll have something that you will enjoy."

I noticed this boilerplate statement many places and used by several.

1. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 22 months ago in reply to this

yeah, so obvious that is spamming, we don't ask another writer to drop by at our own hubs. we just welcome and give good advice

1. t aaron brown profile image85
        t aaron brownposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for everyone's input. I don't want to delete said posts right away...I don't want to be rude. I even reciprocated to join a few, giving the benefit of the doubt. I will be a little more attentive to future posts. I do want to link up with some people of common interests or at least style, etc.

2. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I think you answered your own question right here.

The HubPages system will automatically flag the accounts of people who leave repetitive comments as being spammers.

3. DrMark1961 profile image93
      DrMark1961posted 22 months ago in reply to this

If it is the same person I am thinking of, he was one of my first "followers" a few years ago. After spamming he never left a comment/constructive criticism. That person, and others like him, are just into leaching on to new members.
      The vast majority of people here are not like that and it is a good place to learn.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
    Phyllis Doyleposted 22 months ago

I do not think it is "sincere interaction" and not sure if it can be considered spam. It is insensitive, though, to drive traffic to their site in this way. Seems like the person is direct from Bubblews, where gaining followers and "likes" is highly competitive and seldom sincere.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image96
      Sherry Hewinsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

That would be against the rules at Bubblews. You are not allowed to ask people to look at your stuff.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
    Phyllis Doyleposted 22 months ago

Welcome to HubPages, Aaron. I wish you all the best.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 22 months ago

When is see the follow me, read my hubs, etc, I shake my head and move on.  I don't do it!!!

5. LongTimeMother profile image95
    LongTimeMotherposted 22 months ago

Hello t aaron brown. Some hubbers might be sincere when they write that type of fanmail. They, too, may just be finding their feet here at hp. You don't have to follow them back. Only follow those whose hub topics genuinely interest you.

6. Beaddoodler profile image82
    Beaddoodlerposted 22 months ago

I call this spam!  Any time I get a request to "visit my hubs" I ignore it.  Welcoming a new hubber is fine.  Requesting visits isn't.

7. ShirleyJCJohnson profile image85
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 22 months ago

Welcome to hubpages t aaron brown.  It takes a while to get into the swing of things; I've only been here for about 8 months or so myself; but, I enjoy being here.  I enjoy the hubs that other people post.  I can usually find a hub or two when I have a question.  I've gotten good advice from some hubs.  And others have made me fall out of my chair in laughter.  This is a good place to learn more about myself as a writer/newbie author, and I am in the process of fulfilling one of my biggest dreams because of being at hubpages.  Congratulations on your efforts, and may your progress come as quickly as you want it to.

8. colorfulone profile image87
    colorfuloneposted 22 months ago

It sounds promotional to me. We are not suppose to make promotional comments in the forums either. That would run the risk of being banned from the forums, or having our accounts deleted.
    "Spam", yeah that's what it is.

9. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 22 months ago

As things have gotten tougher for the good, old, out-and-out and obvious spam type of "interaction" (whether here OR Bubblews), people have figured out what they think are more and more clever ways of disguising attempts to self-promote.  Once someone has seen enough of it it becomes easier and easier to spot what's genuine and what is not.

Whether it's here or on Bubblews, I kind of have to laugh (not laugh, really) at those who write whole, colding, posts about what a piece of cr*p  co-members are when they don't comment as much as the "lecturer" thinks they ought to (or else warns everyone that if they don't do reciprocal commenting/following nobody else is going to read their stuff or follow them.)   That's why there's sure something to be said for plain, old, search-engine "approval".

1. DrMark1961 profile image93
      DrMark1961posted 22 months ago in reply to this

If you are following 4800 people, like the person I mentioned, does that sort of give you a clue? Do you really think someone that is following over 4000 people even bothers to read the articles?
      Those of us who did not join up here as SEO experts would like to learn. Maybe you already know it all and do not need any sort of criticism?

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
        Jean Bakulaposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Welcome Aaron,
        Don't just follow anyone, it can make your score go down if you follow tons of people. Plus, as you go along, you will have so many followers, you won't be able to read all their work, and have time to write. Only follow people if you think they are good writers, or if you think you may have time to either share an interest or at least will read each other's work once in a while.

Many come on HP and think they should follow hundreds of people, and nobody actually keeps in touch. You'll find your way. I let people follow me, but don't go out of my way to follow many, unless they write in my niche. Good luck to you.

10. 0
    Crisantonioposted 22 months ago

Welcome to HP! smile

I have received a few requests as you mentioned, but I don't mind them because I visit my followers' Hubs anyway - regardless if they asked me or not. I may not be following them yet, but I like to check on their works from time to time. I like leaving comments, especially if I feel strongly about their Hub.

I wouldn't close off doors so fast. Some people just give generic mails like that. But they're good (or I hope so). Have fun here and I'm looking forward to reading your works!