jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Facebook login issues?: use non-FB login method

1. Reuben Chew profile image87
    Reuben Chewposted 2 years ago

Hi All,

For the last few months, I've been experiencing problems on HubPages. Basically, on every other page, I get an error that "The connection was reset". Previously, I had no such issues. I haven't been writing much recently, so I didn't pay much attention to this, but it's really getting on my nerve now that I'm back into writing.

Now, I believe I know the source of the problem: Basically, my ISP routes all web requests through a cluster of web servers, each having different IP addresses. Thus, whenever I access a webpage, my "IP address" as it appears to Hubpages changes depending on which web server processes the request. As a result, if a website checks for the same IP address (which I suspect is what Hubpages is doing), I then get this "The connection was reset" error.

Now, I was wondering if Hubpages could address this issue somehow? It wasn't there when I joined last year.

Thank you!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image79
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry you are having trouble using the site.

There is currently no known issue with the site that would result in the issue you are experiencing.

It sounds like there may be some stability issues for your ISP or network connection.

You may be able to work around your system limitations using another browser like Opera or Chrome.

You could even try Opera's mode for slow connections.
      http://www.opera.com/turbo

Reuben Chewposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi there,

I realise the problem arises when I click "Log in to Facebook", as I always have. When I tried manual login, everything works perfectly.

Is there something wrong with the Facebook plugin? It used to work just fine.

Thank you once again.

I do know that there was an issue recently that affected Facebook sign in, but I was under the impression it was fixed. It sounds like it could be back.

I will do some more research to see if there is an issue we need to fix related to Facebook sign in.
          I just want to confirm, you are in Singapore?

The reason I ask is occasionally some regional ISPs block some content as well.

Does the issue persist with other browsers like Opera or Chrome?
          Make sure to clear your browser cache and see if there is an upgrade for Firefox.

In the meantime I would suggest continuing to use the non-Facebook login method.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image79

I just tested logging in using Facebook in Firefox 34.0.5 and Windows 8.1 and was able to do so successfully.

You may want to make sure that you are not automatically logging in using cached credentials via a password manager or other tool.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

My ISP uses dynamic addressing too, but I have no problems accessing the site.

But, I'm also in the same country as HubPages, not Singapore, so I have no idea if that's a factor.

3. Bethieannie profile image84
    Bethieannieposted 2 years ago

What browser are you using? Tablet or PC. I had an issue like this. First try clearing your cash and cookies. My problem ended up being a browser extension. When I got rid of it, the problem stopped. This might not be your issue, but it is worth a try.

4. aesta1 profile image86
    aesta1posted 2 years ago

The last 2 months I was in Hanoi and now I am in Portugal but I have Nya's no problems getting in.

5. Reuben Chew profile image87
    Reuben Chewposted 2 years ago

Unfortunately, I have tried three devices and have similar results. Tried MSIE11, Firefox and Google Chrome. I am on SingNet broadband if that helps. I am able to use the SingNet proxy server to access this site perfectly. However, the proxy has some issues with other sites so I would prefer not having to use the proxy where possible. Most websites work fine without having to set a proxy server.

This makes it sound like it could be an issue with your ISP.

Reuben Chewposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I'm guessing so as well, but on other websites that use the Facebook login, I don't get such problems.

Basically, what I get upon login is 'The connection was reset' 90% of the time. Usually, refreshing 2 or 3 times solves the problem. However, whenever I go to a page that requires AJAX (e.g. such as posting a reply, or adding a text box to my hub), the same issue surfaces again. I think it might be a problem with the cookies generated?

P.S. Even with the normal login I experience an error when trying to post this post the first time.

working