jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Table of Contents

1. Judy Filarecki profile image92
    Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago

I just put a TOC on two long hubs. It works very well except when you click the link, it is very slow. This is because it has to reload the entire hub and ads before it jumps to the linked area. I followed the instructions from Britflorida and Sidkemp and both were very helpful in guiding me through the process. Thank you very much, both of you.

I was just wondering if there is someway to speed it. Is there a way to get it to go directly to the linked location since the page is all ready loaded?
    Judy

1. calculus-geometry profile image87
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately the only way on HP to make links that jump to sections of the same page is with that method, which causes a total page reload.  If HP allowed more HTML, you could encode the links in a way that would not cause the page to reload.  But it's unlikely they will loosen the restrictions on HTML, so we're probably stuck with that method.

Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I figured as much. I know I did it years ago on one of my websites, but I would have to research how I did and they probably wouldn't allow it. I is unfortunate. My hub rating jumped significantly with the addition of the TOC, but as a person, looking at the hub, I was getting frustrated by so much delay and started to just scroll down instead, or just said "forget it." It is a great tool but very inefficient for the view even though it is supposed to make things easier for them.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I followed Brit's directions but could not get the TOC to work for me, and I checked it very carefully.  Must have missed something because apparently it works for other people.  Now that I've read these posts, I'm just as happy things went as they did lol!

3. Judy Filarecki profile image92

The two that I have put them on are between 2500 and over 3000 words. They cover multiple topics within each one focusing on different aspects of painting. It makes it easier to get to the specific area of interest. This is mostly a test of its effectiveness. I'm still not completely satisfied wit it, especially since it is so slow. We'll see.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

I hate TOC's. They are for books!

1. Stacie L profile image86
      Stacie Lposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree that the Table of contents is for books.
      These hubs are too short for that.

3. clivewilliams profile image79
    clivewilliamsposted 2 years ago

table of contents in webpages are simple links to different subtopics on the main page. I think table of contents is the wrong term to be used on the webpage.

I like your thoughts. I might rename it to something more appropriate. I really like the organization it  gives to the instructional hub and I think viewers would appreciate if it just didn't take so long.

working