How long is it going to take to rank well on Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. hclpd profile image93
    hclpdposted 9 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am new here, so I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. I was curious as to how much time is it going to take to start getting some god traffic from Google? How much traffic do you get  everyday on an average? Your help would be really appreciated smile

1. Maina Ndungu profile image93
      Maina Ndunguposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In my case, my top-ranking hubs have made it to the front page of Google in exactly 30 days. I still get some traffic from Google before then and I wonder how people find the hubs because I can't trace them myself.
      I've seen guys talking of 2 weeks but I guess  they may be writing about some unexplored topics.
      Some articles may take months before they can receive good traffic for reasons I can't explain.

1. hclpd profile image93
        hclpdposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am starting to get some traffic from Yahoo and Bing, but not from Google. Let's hope that I am as lucky as you in terms of getting articles ranked pretty fast.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you use high volume search terms/keywords (that a lot of people are searching for) with low competition in search results (big sites are not already covering it and there are not that many results for it in search), it can take a month, a few months, maybe several months to rank high in the SERPs and get decent traffic. If you just kind of write what you want, it's hit or miss, might get lucky, but it can take a couple years or longer to get any kind of decent traffic; even then, might not be all that decent.

It is best not to write about topics already covered here at Hubpages too. The topic has to be fairly unique--meaning, not covered by other writers too much already-- but must be one that people are searching for.

1. hclpd profile image93

Years? Well, that gives me hope, sorta......

1. NateB11 profile image89

It only takes years if the topic is already heavily written about or no one is looking for it. Your topics might be more focused than that, in which case it might not take that long to rank in the search engine.

1. hclpd profile image93

Thanks for the clarification. Let's see how well I do here. I have certainly embarked upon a challenging and fun journey.

I've had articles rank well rather quickly; just depends on topic and content. HP pages tends to get indexed fairly quickly.

1. Bethieannie profile image92
                Bethieannieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying not to watch the pot boil. I'm writing more from my heart, but intermittently trying to find keywords with low competition. While I don't put my eggs in one basket, I'm putting my all into hubpages right now. I might go back and get more keyword focused if I don't see google traffic by January.

1. hclpd profile image93

I am also going to wait for a month or two to see if this approach is working. If not, I am all for a slight change in my tactics. Good luck!

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Getting traffic depends a lot on what you are writing about.  If you write about something which has massive internet coverage, like popular video games, it is extremely competitive and you may find you can't ever get good traffic compared to the huge gaming sites.  They are well-known, with huge advertising budgets, and they get the games way ahead of regular users.

If you want gaming traffic here, you have a big, uphill challenge.

1. hclpd profile image93

The keywords I am trying to rank for, though, are not covered by those sites. The stiff competition is the main reason I won't ever do any reviews or previews of any video game. Let's hope for the best smile

3. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 9 years ago

I don't agree with NateB in this regard. Write that article which has high volume of search and competition but with great details and quality. If your quality is good and excels others, your article will be ranked high in Google Search. That's it. It is just all about quality and information.

1. LeanMan profile image78
      LeanManposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If only things were that simple.........

Show me a hubpage that outranks well established niche sites for a high volume high competition search phrase..............

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, not outranks, but my "Troubleshooting a Coleman forced hot air furnace limit switch" ranks right up there for "coleman furnace repair" (much to my surprise, honestly).

That's very instructive in terms of narrowing down a long-tail keyword phrase.

1. Pcunix profile image91
            Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about "instructive" as it was not by design smile

Lol

2. NateB11 profile image89

High volume of search is definitely important. Competition I think is not so much about volume of competition. I've ranked well with keyword phrases that had dozens of millions of results in search. As Lean Man pointed out, the reputation of the sites you go up against I think is still a factor. If you're going against small sites, other user-generated sites or even forums, probably you can rank high in results.

1. hclpd profile image93

I concur. If you see forums and other small blogs coming up in search results, you have a chance to rank well. I have made sure that most of my articles are media reach and of more than 2500 words. Delve deep and do some more research about a particular topic and you are gong to do well for sure. I have been quite successful implementing this strategy on my blogs. Not so sure about hubs though. That's why I am here hoping to hear from veterans like you smile

2. Maina Ndungu profile image93
        Maina Ndunguposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just to add weight to your point, competition to me has nothing to do with the number of results that come up in such. Rather, the richness of the content in the highest ranking pages.

Yes, that's correct.

3. hclpd profile image93

What you are saying is only partially true. You will also have to ensure that sites like Wikihow, IGN, Gamespot, YouTube and other well-establish sites are not already ranking for those keywords. On the other hand, if you notice forums coming up in top 10 results, there is your chance to rank well!

4. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 9 years ago

LeanMan! One of mys hubs is an excellent example in this regard. Just search my hub titled: Neoclassical Poetry and you will see it at the top of search results in Google Search.

I'm starting to re-think this a little bit. I think this is correct, and I'd have to review my articles, I think some of them have outranked some reputable sites or come close. I think content is still the important factor. Along with search volume.

2. LeanMan profile image78

Rafiq23;

Neoclassical poetry gets about 100 broad searches a month and no one is bidding to advertise on those keywords... The competition is also not that high quality...
      But well done for ranking...

5. Maffew James profile image94
    Maffew Jamesposted 9 years ago

It's impossible to give a reliable timeframe. Your results are dependent on many factors, including on-page SEO, backlinks to your subdomain, social sharing, how often Google crawls your site, and Panda quality rating.

In order to rank at all, you need to know how to incorporate SEO into an article. To rank highly, your subdomain needs to have high authority from quality organic backlinks. Specifically, your Hubpages subdomain must be able to beat the site of your competitors for the article keywords.

If it can't do this, you'll have trouble outranking them even if your article is higher quality. A domain or subdomain needs to be authoritative; not just the article on the domain.

What I've noticed on my own websites is that the more pages you have that top the rankings for competitive keywords, the easier it is to rank other pages, and the sooner they will soar to the top. This isn't coincidence; it's illustrative of how Google prefers a quality site. Every page that Google sees as high quality will raise its opinion of your site as a whole. Or in this case, its opinion of your Hubpages subdomain.

1. hclpd profile image93

Should I start building backlinks for my sub domain? Is this what you are suggesting?

1. LeanMan profile image78

Building backlinks is something that you need to be very careful about..

Google Penguin is all about spotting link building behavior and links from bad neighborhoods etc. If you are not careful building your own links will create more problems...

Better to write something that other people will share or link to...

2. Maffew James profile image94
        Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is something to think about. Google's Penguin algorithm is designed to knock down sites using paid links or other unnatural links though, and it's getting better at doing this with every update. I wouldn't recommend building unnatural links like this as it won't help you in the long run.

Focus on crafting great content that is more useful than other sources and the links will come naturally. Social sharing is also a great way to build links because it helps you reach people who might link to your content. Share your articles to other sites and people who are likely to link to it and you'll see results.

You could also try using list articles, reference guides, and case studies. These are often very effective at getting links and shares. Positive content, or a view point that is contrary to common beliefs is also more likely to be linked to, as is material that is humorous.

With Penguin around, building links is more geared towards crafting and sharing content in a certain way that helps produce natural links, rather than just paying for them or spamming forums.

6. pateluday profile image54
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

Make a very good site full of unique content. Add it to social media and use some white hat seo methods. Traffic starts building from a month onwards sometime much delayed. Sites now respond to keywords that justify it. It is very difficult to rank on distant search terms.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)