Please Critique My Hub Called: Best Fish Tank Kits and Aquariums

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 9 years ago

I just published a Hub after a long break from HubPages.  For some reason, despite positive comments, feedback and even a HubScore of 80, HubPages has unfeatured it due to quality.  Please critique this Hub, and let me know how to improve it,  Thanks!

http://rocknj.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Fis … -Aquariums

How many words does a Hub need per Amazon ad in order to not violate HubPages rules?

1. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i usually add 1-2 amazon or ebay in my hub. The video is ok, poll and quiz. Maybe you can change your title with the word Review

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I recommend reading this forum, and particularly this post.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127458#post2688944

3. easylearningweb profile image85
    easylearningwebposted 9 years ago

Hi Rock_nj,

I reviewed your hub and here are my recommendations to try to get your hubpage featured:

1. Add a different, more original, higher resolution picture as your first picture in your hub, and add more original pictures at least several, throughout your hub. Maybe a beautiful, colorful picture of fish and it doesn't have to be a fish tank just an awesome original picture as your first picture.

2. Consider using other sources for pictures such as a free source like: commons.wikimedia.org or purchase some photos from istockphoto.com. and be sure if you use other web sites, that the pictures are not copyrighted and that you are allowed to use them.also note your source for the website used. I found that it is best to use some original photos that you have taken yourself and I think Hubpages likes this.

3. Instead of paragraphs, consider breaking up some of your content into bullet points or even a table. This will improve the visibility and attractiveness of your content.

4. May I suggest that at the start of your hub,  you introduce fish tanks to explain a little bit about fish tanks for those of us who don't know a lot about it.

5. Make sure you have at least 500 words or more which I think you do.

6. Add at least one cool video about fish or fish tanks, which you find on yiutube.com.

7. Remove all but one amazon capsule. too many will distract the reader, plus I haven't had too much luck with the Amazon capsules, so just one once in awhile to start.

8. Finally, look over your home and make sure it is unique, beautiful, very interesting, and follows all the rules and features of how to create a stellar hub found in Hubpages help.

I really hope this helps. I have several older hubs that are now unfeatured and I have to go back and improve on then. but most of my hugs are featured so please feel free to take a look at some of them to get some more ideas.

Thanks and good luck to you!

Regards,
    Easylearningweb

Rock_njposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you everyone for your feedback on my hub about fish tanks.  Especially Easylearningweb for taking the time to write a long and detailed critique.  Excellent suggestions regarding how to improve me Hub.  I made some changes, and now it is featured.  :-)

1. easylearningweb profile image85
        easylearningwebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's great, glad it's now featured!

4. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Your title is extremely overused on webpages that already exist.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Your hub doesn't really say anything that could not be found on the product listing. As an aquarium keeper myself I have to say that some of the kits you are recommending are poor quality and all can only be recommended with caveats about how they should be used.

Rock_njposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  They are meant to be starter kits, which means quality may be lacking as a trade off for the low price. The Hub is meant to provide a summary for someone looking for a starter fish tank.  They can read about them in one place to point themselves in the right direction.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But I do not see you pointing out those limitations or giving any real advice. Hubs work best when based on actual experience or expertise. Nothing in that hub makes me think you have ever kept an aquarium.

1. relache profile image71
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is the most important feedback that has been given in this thread so far, especially that last sentence.

6. jhehe profile image89
    jheheposted 9 years ago

Hi Rock_nj

I see that your content is pretty good, but it is just the flow. Try not to use so many Amazon links. Yes, it is a good idea to allow readers to buy what you are talking about. However, make sure you are informing (which you are doing quite nicely) and not just promoting. Make sure HP knows that you are making informing your priority and not promoting.

7. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Hi Rock_nj

It seems like a hundred years since I kept an aquarium, but every time I am in the pet store, these fish tanks almost bring me back.  I think they are lovely designs and might be good for starter kits.

You might want to consider adding the Fluval tanks the next time you want to update the hub.

They come in a variety of modern designs:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12092457_f1024.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)