jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Low Traffic Over Holidays

1. Snakesmum profile image88
    Snakesmumposted 2 years ago

Having just checked my traffic and finding that it is even lower than usual, I was
    wondering if this is normal for the Christmas/New Year season?
    Does this always happen, or is it different this year?

As I'm a newbie on HP, I haven't been here at this time of year before.

1. peachpurple profile image77
      peachpurpleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My views are high but not my earnings, dropped a lot, don't understand, it should increase

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

More views does not automatically mean more earnings.  There are lots of reasons why this can be.

Ad rates can be diluted by increased traffic.  Ad budgets also run out at year's end.  Between Christmas and New Years is an ad wasteland.  They are focused on January and beyond already.

HubPages is becoming dominated by mobile traffic.  Mobile traffic blocks most advertising.

People are smart enough to buy right from Amazon now, without stopping somewhere else first.  This is a big reason why Google is losing ad money itself.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image88
        CatherineGiordanoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Peachpurple: Your earnings are not just based on views but on your cpm which varies all the time. The CPM is what the advertiser pays per view. You can see your cpm if you click on the tab labeled earnings at the top of your account page and then click on the add program bar.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can pretty much expect lower traffic over any extended US holiday weekend or time period as people's attention and time turns offline, or to sites specific to whatever they are doing.  But general web activity and random time-filling surfing drops. 

The pattern is going to be the same for any other website whose users are predominantly in the USA.

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Yep, both my traffic and CPM are not happy campers. It's SOP for this time of year. Can't wait for January.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image88
    CatherineGiordanoposted 2 years ago

Thanks paradigmsearch.  I was troubled by that too.  I thought it was something I did.

4. t aaron brown profile image83
    t aaron brownposted 2 years ago

I almost thought the traffic result would be different seeing how the holidays bring about predictable keywords and topics. Probably need to make some adjustments to writing with holiday themes?

5. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Amazingly, my traffic is starting to pick up. I guess people are past Christmas and already once again being concerned about the business of living. Who'd of thunk it? Btw, if you are interested in what Hubbers have written about New Year's Eve and Day, there is a breadcrumb trail... big_smile

6. Snakesmum profile image88
    Snakesmumposted 2 years ago

Thanks for all the responses - I don't feel so bad now that others
    are noticing lower traffic also.   Strangely, earnings are up.........

Today traffic seems to have picked up a little, which is a hopeful sign.
    May it continue to rise for all of us!  :-)

1. aesta1 profile image91
      aesta1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

My hope as well for 2015.

working