Google News Flash

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

This has serious implications for the future of websites and online writers.

In honor of the 24th anniversary of the Web (first successful hypertext communication by Tim Berners-Lee on December 25, 1990), Google Israel just released a survey that sought to determine Israelis' dependence upon the Internet in 2014.  Here is some of the data:

72% of Israelis would rather give up sex for a month than give up their Internet access.

47% of women and 25% of men would give up sex for an entire year in order to stay online.

Israelis spend an average of 4 1/2 hours online each day (for work, study and/or leisure).

Israelis spend 50% of their free time on the Internet.

70% have a family WhatsApp group.

A third of those who met their partners in 2013 did so via the Internet.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Also the future of the world.  If everyone gives up sex, where is the future population going to come from?

1. bBerean profile image61
        bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

North Korea?  I hear there is very limited internet there.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
          DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think we will provide a bit towards that new population. I am lucky enough to have a high speed modem, and have 2 GB per month, not per day as WF mentions in Israel.
          The rest of the time we Brazilians are making babies for those of you on the internet.

1. bBerean profile image61
            bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for being willing to make one for the team!

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would give up sex for the internet...and I love sex. That's how addicted I am to this darn thing!

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess it might... if you leave out anything involving any other country, or human or even any other data, and just focus on that one report.

I hope the government there has really good plans that the average person can use to build an Internet connection for a bomb shelter that will withstand actually being bombed, the effects of EMPs, and the general cessation of all function of the power grid.  Since military budgets and engineers have trouble building that sort of thing themselves, I'm guessing it's going to be a bit more challenging for the average citizen.

Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In Israel, Infrastructure for the Internet is provided by only one company, which makes it very easy to override all ISPs in emergencies. Gilat Satellite Networks provides satellite connection for the military's Internet use, as well as for others because it is now a NASDAQ company. (In 2011, Gilat began to expand its presence in the US defense market.) Connect the dots.

Of course, Israel's true capabilities to defend itself against EMP attacks is not discussed publicly. But, here is an article from the Israel Missile Defense Association (IMDA) which might interest you concerning what is known about Israel's recent tactics to combat EMP and attacks against the power grid:
        http://www.imda.org.il/english/showNews … ?pageId=12

Here is an excerpt: "Israel is now taking steps toward highly leveraging passive missile defense measures, preparing to take yet another serious vulnerability off the table by protecting its national power grid from EMP."

Thank you for your concern.  Your parents and ancestors would be very proud of you. B’chol dor v’dor …

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

wow, israel would really sacrifice their time for internet.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

I'd love to know more about their user demographics and search trends.  This is really interesting news, for many reasons.

Broadband Internet reaches 95% of the population.  Every household connected to the Internet (not by cell phone) has an average of five devices connected to the Internet – at the same time. The average home surfer downloads approximately 2GB of data per day. Israelis are the second most active Internet users in the world (Canadians are #1) according to ComScore.

The most searched term on Google Israel in 2014 was for 'Home Front Command', the military website which provides instructions and alerts in case of an emergency or an attack. (The Home Front Command advises that all bomb shelters be equipped with Internet access.)

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh my - thanks for the really great information, but it's sobering to think of that search term being in the top slot.  We are so self-centered and spoiled in the USA.

. . . and so totally unprepared for the Iranian nuclear ICBM attack which Iran says is headed your way . . .

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

You're likely correct on that.  You don't live Stateside?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Forgot to mention - many members of my family suspect the German side was Jewish before moving to the USA. There are several signs of it, and the translation of our last name seems like it could have been related to producing Kosher foods.  I enjoyed your Seder hub - so much to learn, if that's part of my heritage.

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Very interesting.

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

It is more than an interesting thread being in the states.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)