jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

1. CatherineGiordano profile image94
    CatherineGiordanoposted 22 months ago

Billybuc did a hub about how to get more comments.  That prompted me to take a look at my stats to see how I was doing.  After about 6 1/2 months, I have 9000 views and 1026 comments. Since about half of the comments are mine, I have a comment rate of 5-6%. I don't know if that is good or bad. Does anyone else want to share so I can put that in perspective.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 22 months ago in reply to this

I have never worried about comments.  They are nice to have and may have some minor impact on how Google ranks you, but the truth is, at least in my case, my very best performing hub...tens of thousands of views...might have one or two comments over the three years it's been online!  I wouldn't worry about them.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
        DrMark1961posted 22 months ago in reply to this

I agree with your statement here. A few weeks ago one of my hubs was shared on FB and had over 10,000 views per day. I did not have any comments on the hub, but I did not mind since I think it answered the problem and most of the comments are the "great hub" type.
        Another hub, which has less than 1000 views since I published it in 2012, has over 500 comments.

2. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 22 months ago in reply to this

let me see, i have 1,922 comments for 122 hubs and 269,659 views over the past 5 years. I am more concern about the views than comments, most people read but don't comment

3. The Examiner-1 profile image83
      The Examiner-1posted 22 months ago in reply to this

I have noticed, with GA, that I have quite a few views - from outsiders - some who read the Hubs all the way and others who only read them part of the way. None of whom leave comments though. According to my stats page I have 1,315 comments and 8,756 views. I believe those are from the Hubbers here, I do not know how many views from the outsiders but the comments are 0.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 22 months ago

My highest commented-upon Hub has over 1400 comments in a little over 6 years of being published, and the comments are 50-50 visitors and myself.

I've always felt the best way to get comments is to really be an expert on something practical/technical (do NOT give personal advice!, that way lies madness), write a Hub about how to do whatever it is you are really good at, and then offer tips and feedback on the process/how-to for your visitors for their own projects.

You often get great word-of-mouse in those scenarios too.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image94
      CatherineGiordanoposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I guess I care about comments because it is a little endorphin jolt.  Somebody liked my writing enough to take a moment to send me a message!  Writing is a lonely business--it's nice to know someone is out there responding.

1. Jodah profile image88
        Jodahposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I totally agree Catherine. I use comments for feedback and I trust the readers to be honest as to the hub merits. While traffic is good, I feel views without comments as somewat of a failure.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
          The Examiner-1posted 22 months ago in reply to this

Here, here, John (or is it hear, hear?) anyway I get so many views from outsiders I wish that they would also let me know how I am doing.

3. Jodah profile image88
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

Hi Catherine,
    I have 29,955 views overall for a total of 9,433 comments, so if half those comments are mine I guess that is 1/6 of my views have resulted in comments. It seems my average number of comments per hub would be about 50.

4. Sue Adams profile image92
    Sue Adamsposted 22 months ago

Personally, my most viewed hubs also have  the most comments. When I read other authors' articles, I tend to rate those article's popularity by the number comments they have, as there is no other way of finding out how much traffic someone else's article is getting. But according to TT2, this may not be a reliable way to assess other people's traffic to their hubs.

I enjoy receiving comments when they turn into questions I can answer, or when they create some kind of debate among my readers. A comment thread that  turns into a discussion can really add valuable content to a hub.