jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

What should I publish, and where?

1. MotherHubber profile image60
    MotherHubberposted 8 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm new here, so I kind of feel like I'm walking into a party already in progress. smile  I was hoping, that you more experienced writers could help me out.

I've just begun writing, and I am now regularly posting material here on HubPages.  A while ago I began my own blog, but I didn't really do anything with it.  Wrote a couple of entries, and sent it to family and friends, and then it kind of fell off my radar.

Now I have been approached by a local community web site to do a weekly column/blog for them.  They loved my hubs, and they want me to write something in the same vein.  I am excited about this (85K hits per month, 3K unique subscribers).

How can I best maximize my traffic?  Can I cross-pollinate?  Do you all publish the same material in more than one place (like on your own blog, plus on Hub Pages, etc?)  I'm a little late to the prom as far as the techy end of things goes.  I could use your advice.

Thanks!

Mother Hubber

2. Shirley Anderson profile image83
    Shirley Andersonposted 8 years ago

I would never publish the exact same article in two places.  If you want to use the same material as in your hubs, I would rewrite it.  Or, if your community is agreeable, you could write on a similar topic and link to your most appropriate hub somewhere.

Congratulations on getting the assignment!  You must be very excited.  smile

3. Whitney05 profile image65
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

I post links and summaries of the hubs on my blogs. That's about all that I do in terms of marketing.

For the most part, it will take time and effort. Just keep writing and traffic will come. Otherwise, you may want to catch up on SEO tactics and marketing hardcore stuffs.

Don't copy/paste your hubs on other places. If you do that, then there's no reason to check out your hub because you pasted the whole thing elsewhere.

As for what to publish.. Publish whatever you want as long as it's within the guidelines (IE no adult content, gambling, etc.)

4. MotherHubber profile image60

That is what I was looking for, Shirley.  Thank you.  I imagine it would be inappropriate to publish the same thing in two places.  It even feels a little untoward.  Like infedelity!  Anyway, thanks! 

And yes, I am very happy about the assignment.  I have not published anything before - especially on a regular basis- so I am eager for the opportunity.  It's a parenting web site, which is all the better for me (see profile pic).  smile

1. Shirley Anderson profile image83
      Shirley Andersonposted 8 years ago in reply to this

smile  I'm sure that you'll do a great job!  Don't forget to let us know when you start so we can all check it out.

MotherHubberposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, I definitely will!

5. MotherHubber profile image60

Whitney, please excuse my ignorance.  SEO what?  Huh?  What is that?

Great bit of advice about little blurbs linking back to Hub Pages.  Like a teaser. . .otherwise, why read.  Exactly.

So, maybe the blog is about my day-to day, very first-person-ish.  Then the Hub Pages are where the creative non-fiction can go.  And the weekly column can be where I put my tips/advice/how-to's. 

I literally just figured that out.  Thank you so much for helping me think that through smile

One other question, Whitney.  Do you monetize your own personal blog, if you have one?  (i.e. links to Google Adsense, etc)  or is that in poor form?

1. Lissie profile image87
      Lissieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Check out this one on Google's take on SEO - if the jargon is to much you may also like this video of what a backlink is.

I wouldn't bother monetising your personal blog - and certainly not with Adsense unless you have a lot of traffic to it.

Make sure the comunity website allows you to link back to your own site or hubpages profile - that's a really big break you go there - and your writing is great - go girl!

Lissie, I read your suggestions about 2 hours ago. . .that is how long I have been reading, clicking links, researching. . .there is a lot to learn if you are new to this!  Thanks so very much for setting me in the right direction.  I'm in awe of how much expertise you and the others have and are willing to share on this topic.  Awesome.  Thank you!

6. Shirley Anderson profile image83
    Shirley Andersonposted 8 years ago

Definitely put your AdSense code in your blog!  I don't know which blogging platform you use, but I know that AdSense can be used with Blogger.

Shirley, if Adsense works with Blogger, then I will just use that.  I am thinking of starting my blog over anyway, since the old one had only one or two entries.  Thanks for the response.  I will set that up for sure, then.  It almost sounds like I might be able to earn money from all of these efforts?  Who knew?  I just really like to write.

7. Research Analyst profile image78
    Research Analystposted 8 years ago

Congrats on your success, it is always helpful to use other blogging platforms such as blogger, wordpress, typepad or even join sites like gather where you can write and network at the same time.

8. LondonGirl profile image92
    LondonGirlposted 8 years ago

congratulations!

LG, thank you so much!  I'm a bit nervous, but looking forward to it.

working