jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

DMCA Violation

1. larcaustin46 profile image90
    larcaustin46posted 22 months ago

Hi, everyone--
    My most-viewed hub just hit a new landmark--it's been completely lifted and published on a Turkish website with no links or attribution to my original article. Has anyone else had this happen? What are my options for addressing the situation?
    Thanks for your help!
    Leigh Anne

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Oh man - that's a tough one, Larcaustin!  I've had several copied by foreign sites & it's nearly impossible to get to them (their emails don't work, and they don't care).  Check to see the hosting company & any contact points.  The DMCA may at least take the content out of Google's search engines. 

Good luck!  And good to see you again!

2. Ramkitten2000 profile image94
    Ramkitten2000posted 22 months ago

Just in case (you may have done this already), have you tried looking up the web host and sending a DMCA notice?

If that doesn't work ... or even if you find the host ... I would suggest reporting the plagiarism to Google, to at least try to get the site removed from SERPs.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … pli=1&

[Edited: Oops, I kind of said the same thing Marcy did.]

3. larcaustin46 profile image90
    larcaustin46posted 22 months ago

Thanks to you both! Great suggestions--I'll see what I can do!

4. neosurk profile image87
    neosurkposted 22 months ago

Just to let you know that another revenue sharing site Infobarrel has also been hit by a number of similar Turkish websites. This might have a connection with your articles.

Here's what they are doing: http://www.infobarrel.com/forum-topic.php?id=12612

As Ramkitten mentioned, sending a DMCA notice to the hosting website will get that site down.

Neosurk - I have found host sites that do not have valid email addresses or contact information listed - things get bounced back.

1. lisavollrath profile image89
        lisavollrathposted 22 months ago in reply to this

If you mean their information isn't correctly listed with their domain registration, or they've provided bogus contact information to register their domain, I believe you can file a complaint with ICAAN, which will ask the registrar to update the information. My registrar will pull down my domains if I don't provide legitimate contact information.

File the complaint here: https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/co … uracy-form

Thanks for that link and information, Lisa - the issue I found was that the contact information for the host itself wasn't valid - there was an email for the host company, but it bounced. The same hub was stolen by five sites, and all were listed with the same owner and through the same host company.  Rather than contacting the sites (the owner is listed in Africa, and stole the hub five times), I tried the email on the host company - which bounced. 

I'll try the ICAAN route - I had not heard of that one.  Many thanks!

1. delia-delia profile image80
            delia-deliaposted 22 months ago in reply to this

When I was with Squidoo I had scraper issues with one of my pages, and I had them removed with a DMCA...But today I accidentally ran across two of my pages on 20 sites (I gave up after 20) either copy and pasted or snipped, and some pages with my name and tags...I'm so disgusted...I've noticed absolutely NO visits to my  Hubpages...this makes me reconsider being here...sadly I'm ready to move on.