What are all my pages getting marked as spammy?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. iijuan12 profile image65
    iijuan12posted 9 years ago

Ever since the squidoo grace period ended, all my pages I have updated have become unpublished because they have been deemed overly promotional.  I have no idea why! The page I worked on updated yesterday (Florida for Teachers and Travelers) has 1912 words, 4 amazon modules, 1 poll, 1 map, 15 videos, and 6 links (not including the wikipedia links for photos). 

All 6 links are valid pages related to the topic.  They all go to separate domains except for 2 of the links which go to the same domain (i.e. there are 4 links to different domains and 2 links to the same domain.) 

All of the amazon modules and videos are related to specific topics. 

What am I missing?  Why is this page and my other pages that are similar considered overly promotional and getting unpublished?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Squidoo moderation grace period has not yet ended, but will in a week.
      You can find more information here.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2694790

We also have started a forum discussion related to product usage in Hubs and HubPages staff is available to answer your questions.
      You can find that thread here.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2694414

And here is an FAQ related to spammy content.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#Spammy-Elements

2. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since that Hub is unpublished, no one can view it.  However, I notice that you have a 'for teachers and travelers' Hub for every state in the Union and seem to follow the same template.

One of them I looked at had:
      62 words of your original content
      6 links to other websites (one broken link)
      Amazon product
      picture of state flag
      3 Amazon products
      YouTube Video
      11 Amazon products
      YouTube Video
      2 Amazon products
      YouTube Video
      3 Amazon products
      YouTube Video
      Poll
      eBay product

In other words, you have no content on that Hub and the title is misleading.  I think all 50 of those Hubs are in danger of being unpublished if you don't make some major changes and provide original content which is found nowhere else on the Web and get rid of most of the products and videos.

You have to actually write something about the state and why it is 'for teachers and travelers.'

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed the following practices which were allowed/encouraged on Squidoo but can lead to unpublishing here:

1.  An Amazon capsule at the top of the Hub, either full-width or right-floated (you are not allowed to start a Hub with an Amazon capsule here). 

2.  Two or more Amazon products listed together, either full-width or right-floated (you must always separate your Amazon capsules with at least one paragraph of text).

3.  Products which are not directly related, (this is very strictly applied - e.g. you can't advertise a sewing machine in a Hub about making a dress, unless that dress requires a special kind of machine).

4.  Unrelated links:  you are not allowed to link to your profile, or to your social media profiles, or to your blog (unless there's a page on your blog on the same topic as your Hub, in which case you can link to that page).

5.  Zazzle links:  Zazzle HTML code includes three links, and as you're allowed only two links to the same domain, that breaks the rule.

New guidelines have come out about the use of product capsules, which may or may not require you to make more changes - but up till now, fixing the above problems has been enough to get a Hub accepted, so it's worth a try.

2. Valeant profile image85
    Valeantposted 9 years ago

Looks like you and the poster right before you (favored) have the same issue.

3. simonlivingston profile image61
    simonlivingstonposted 9 years ago

That seems to be a lot of videos, but I doubt that is the problem. Make sure there aren't any warnings in the upper right corner of the page before you publish.

iijuan12posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, there are no warnings in the upper right corner. 

The reason for the high video count is because I have a video to accompany many of my text boxes and occasionally some of the videos have a few parts to them.

4. iijuan12 profile image65
    iijuan12posted 9 years ago

Writer Fox, You were looking at one of the pages I have not yet updated.  I am aware that the original format of my pages on individual states do not meet the criteria required by Hubpages. 

I have been working at significantly changing the format of each of these pages so that they come into compliance with what Hubpages suggests we have.  I have read the suggestions on how to improve pages and and have made the necessary changes.  I am uncertain as to why changing my pages to comply with what Hubpages says that we should have on a page causes me to have my pages go unpublished.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since we cannot see the edits you made, the best thing to do is email the team and ask them what you need to do to the Hub to get it featured:  team at hubpages dot com

They usually respond within a day or so.

iijuan12posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I'll try that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)