jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)

Google Analytics 85% Bouncerate for my Hubs Hooray!

1. johndwilliams profile image84
    johndwilliamsposted 21 months ago

Well I was well impressed today - just looked at my Google Analytics and I have an 85% Bounce Rate.

Am I doing something wrong?

1. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I wouldn't worry about it on your HubPages account.  It could just mean that someone clicked on an ad or a link at the beginning of a Hub.  Because ads on HP don't open in a separate window, Google Analytics will show a click-out as a bounce.

johndwilliamsposted 21 months ago in reply to this

OK thanks Writer Fox

2. Knightmare Golem profile image96
      Knightmare Golemposted 21 months ago in reply to this

You could have a visitor come, read the entire article, stay for several minutes, give it a thumbs up, and then leave.  And that's still considered a bounce.  You're not doing anything wrong, it's just how people consume content on places like Hubpages.  They go from Google to the article they want, and then they leave.  You'd need to be concerned about bounce rate if you had a front page that everyone generally went through.

Ah OK so as Hubs are found through Google I won't have a front page that would direct visitors to other parts of my website or blog.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
          Phyllis Doyleposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Well ... if a reader likes your hub they will most likely click on your name at the top right and go to your profile to see what else you have they might like.

At the end of all my hubs, I have an author's note. I encourage my readers to "click on my name at the top right of this page to see other articles I have written."

I really do not keep track of my traffic stats - I just publish, promote and hope for the best.

2. RockyMountainMom profile image93
        RockyMountainMomposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Very useful, thanks

3. Hicks Days profile image60
        Hicks Daysposted 21 months ago in reply to this

ohh so that's it. Now it make sense what bounce rate should be. I just though if you stay on a page a little longer it will not count as a BR.

3. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 21 months ago in reply to this

People with a higher bounce rate than you would probably say "no."  People with a lower bounce rate than you would probably say "yes."

https://support.google.com/analytics/an … 9409?hl=en

4. Fred Arnold profile image61
      Fred Arnoldposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I would focus more on your average time on page. If people are not reading your Hubs then that average will be really low.

2. earner profile image86
    earnerposted 21 months ago

I'd not bother worrying, or lookng at, bounce rates for writing sites as it's not a true picture.  The objective of writing is for them to leave your article... via a link, to buy stuff smile

3. t aaron brown profile image82
    t aaron brownposted 21 months ago

Depending on how the HubPage loads I might accidentally click on the header ad.  This also happens (more strategically/deliberately) on Yahoo Mail's new layout.  That being said, it's a constant challenge for me to try and perfect the lead paragraph as well as the summary.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 21 months ago

That is very good, John. Nice way to start the day, yes?

5. Cari Kay 11 profile image94
    Cari Kay 11posted 21 months ago

I'd have to imagine this is a pretty normal bounce rate for Hubpages.

6. pawan negi profile image60
    pawan negiposted 21 months ago

no u rr going in a right way

7. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 21 months ago

The important statistic you want to look at is how long they stayed on your site on average.

If it's a few seconds you have a problem

If it's a few minutes then you don't.

If it's a few minutes but HubPages decides to unfeature or unpublish your site then HubPages has a problem! wink

8. russinserra profile image81
    russinserraposted 21 months ago

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. What is "bounce rate"? How do you tell how long someone is on your hub?

It comes from Google Anaytics

9. Shades-of-truth profile image86
    Shades-of-truthposted 21 months ago

John, to date, I have not looked to see what my bounce rate is. I would rather not know right now.

Perhaps I shall investigate it, when I have been on HP longer, and could bear to check it. If it was high, it would just "nag at me"!

10. LNAngel profile image53
    LNAngelposted 21 months ago

HubPages is not a niched site - if someone dropped on your Hub from organic search, I think it would be odd they stuck around to peruse more of the site. A highish bounce rate doesn't mean your Hub was poor...au contraire, it could mean you provided them exactly what they needed so they only need to view that one URL on HP. I concern myself with bounce rate on my own, niched sites but never look at it for HP.

11. Taranwanderer profile image91
    Taranwandererposted 21 months ago

Very good assessment, LNAngel. In fact, it's one of the reasons Hubpages asks us to do some "hub-hopping"; they need us hubbers to do it because the site architecture isn't really given to getting organic-Search visitors to visit more than a single hub consistently. Bounce rate is an important metric for SEO, so Hubpages needs us to help them out with that.

1. LeanMan profile image82
      LeanManposted 21 months ago in reply to this

If you have many related hubs then you can improve bounce rate as well as time on site with relevant linking between hubs.
      I have one hub that gets all of its visits from other hubs that I have and not from Google at all. I get traffic between my hubs that is in 3 figures every day using relevant linking.
      I make use of half width text blocks in blue pushed to the right to drive traffic through links - this seems to work well. Like a sales capsule however it needs to be relevant to the information in the text capsule it is alongside if you want the reader to follow the link it contains.

12. 2besure profile image83
    2besureposted 21 months ago

Put calls to action on your Hubs, something to make them stay on the page a little longer, like questionnaires, etc.

13. tlcs profile image78
    tlcsposted 21 months ago

I like this answer LeanMan, I will try this out next time I write a hub.