jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Here's a topic idea for everyone

1. TimArends profile image85
    TimArendsposted 21 months ago

Stuck on coming up with new Hubpages topics to write about? If you are a graduate, why not write about your old trade school, college or university?

There are always new students lining up at every school, and a review or  hub of "Insider secrets" could be of a lot of interest. Being a graduate practically makes you an expert on your alma mater and perfect for providing tips to new students.

Even though I graduated decades ago, I was able to write a hub on my alma mater that has garnered a lot of interest (the fact that I took a lot of original photos while there helped). The hub came to around 9000 words, and is the longest hub I've ever written, and may well be the most comprehensive review of the college online!

I've gotten a lot of nice comments in response to the hub, and checking the hub stats shows a top visitor retention rate of five stars.

In fact, I was surprised that some of my original photos taken while at the college are practically the only ones of many specific landmarks that turn up in a Google image search, despite the many thousands of graduates who have passed through the college over the years.

This may be a topic that a lot of people don't think about, so if you are a graduate consider giving it a try. Check out my hub below for an example.

<link snipped>

2. TimArends profile image85
    TimArendsposted 21 months ago

Okay, I guess you can't link on the Hubpages forums even to your own hubs on Hubpages LOL!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 21 months ago in reply to this

The only Forums that permit it are the HubChallenges Forum (only for sharing the Hubs you've written as part of a HubChallenge), and the Improving Your Hub Forum, where you can post a link to a specific Hub and ask for feedback from other Hubbers. In other Forums you can tell other Hubbers to see your profile for the relevant Hubs (without linking).

3. Brayden Crown profile image59
    Brayden Crownposted 21 months ago

You have shared great Discussion. Good to know.

4. calculus-geometry profile image85
    calculus-geometryposted 21 months ago

If the author of such a hub graduated decades ago, a lot of the information will be badly outdated.  Academic policies change, good/bad and cheap/expensive neighborhoods change, etc.

Instead of presenting it as 'insider secrets' it would be better and less misleading to present it as 'What XYZ College was like 25 Years Ago.' Or you could research what the school is currently like and package it is 'How XYZ College Has Changed in the Last 25 Years.'

1. TimArends profile image85
      TimArendsposted 21 months ago in reply to this

I thought of that, and I checked Wikipedia and the college's website to make sure all of my information was still valid, as well as encouraging recent graduates to correct anything that was outdated. In addition, I wrote on aspects of the college that don't change very rapidly. Of course, a lot of readers of this tip will be more recent graduates of whatever school they attended.