All Hubs Highlighted Required Revision - even well trafficked featured

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Novel Treasure profile image87
    Novel Treasureposted 9 years ago

I just logged in and it shows every single one of my hubs highlighted in pink, to need review. The majority of these were well trafficked and featured hubs or editor's choice. Did something happen? I tried looking in the questions and forums and didn't see anything. I am not a former Squidoo person that was moved over.

They listed them all as overly promotional but I rarely have an amazon or ebay capsule in mine. The only thing I can think of is at the bottom I list links to other related hubs.

Are we no longer allowed to provide links to other hubs (I refer other hubbers hubs on same topics) because they would all have the hubpages domain?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Posts like yours scare me. HP needs to implement a warning program for the less egregious violations. Give us a chance to fix things before taking away our income.

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What are your hub summaries like? If they are overly keyword-rich they may have been flagged.

If it's not that then I would definitely look at all links in your hubs, including any sales capsules.

3. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A few – not many – of your Hubs have keyword stuffing in the Summaries.  Just reword these.  Here are two examples.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12148496.png

On your Hub about how to make doll furniture swings on the link below, there are two sentences bolded at the bottom that might be left-overs from products which are no longer available.  Right now, those sentences just look like keyword stuffing. On that same Hub, try not using the link capsule at the bottom and create your own paragraph with side picture describing your other 'how to' Hubs.  Seriously, this is an excellent Hub and I can't imagine why it was unpublished!????
      https://web.archive.org/web/20140702191 … rch-Swings

A few of your other Hubs have more than one eBay product in a capsule, left over from the old days when that was allowed.  Just change those and make two capsules for two products.

The Hubs I looked at were excellent and I can't imagine why HP would unpublish all 91 of them! Try editing each one and see what messages are there from HP.  Then, please let us know what HP found which was so egregious.

4. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, something happened.  You will want to read this thread,

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128079

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Novel Treasure, check your links, all links, including photos. I'm in the process of overhauling my hubs. Hey relache, you're yellow. Are you staff now? I voted you most likely to become an HP employee for last year's Hubbies. smile

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your vote, Jan!  No, I am not staff.  You can identify staff profiles by the large, prominent letter H on them.  Although, that is the mug I got as my prize that you see (sort of) in my avatar. 

I'm going to guess one of the staff liked my reply and highlighted it rather than make a whole post after mine just to say, go look at what Relache posted.  Staff can highlight any posts they choose, not just ones they make.

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, didn't know that, thanks!

5. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully, all of your hubs can be fixed and featured again soon.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just did a quick check of your summaries and more than half of them are stuffed with keywords.  How could you not know you were doing this...it is so obvious!

Keyword stuffing is one of the big "no nos" with Google, and if the HP team catches you doing this either in your summaries or posts, you will be unfeatured.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It might not be obvious to everyone.  Most people know not to keyword stuff the text that readers see (the OP's article text is not stuffed). But maybe they don't give much thought to the summary since only bots read it, and assume that using the same keyword phrase over and over is harmless.

2. Artois52 profile image83
    Artois52posted 9 years ago

Hi Novel Treasure. Your profile shows 0 hubs published too. Could it be your bio that's causing the problem? Could it be, rather ironically, over promoting Hub Pages? You do mention words that I could see being picked up automatically as being over promotional like 'free', 'link' and 'money'. Just a thought.

1. mary615 profile image84
      mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just checked your profile page, and it does indeed indicate you have zero Hubs.  Thought that was very strange!

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Mostly likely the are out of line with the new anti-spam rules. Look at reducing product selling modules and ensuring they are directly related to the hub, and possibly dialing down keyword density.

4. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Hubpages have sent a message out to all hubbers to say that they will be looking at our hubs and that over promoting will not be acceptable, for those who promote e-bay and amazon less is now better, content is what they are looking for more of rather than the selling side. sad

5. Uzochukwu Mike profile image77
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Novel, I am here to give you a message of hope. Never give up because I think it is a newly adopted practice for Hubpages this new year.
    On Monday this week, I logged in to my account and noticed that my 109 featured hubs have been highlighted as being overlypromotional.
    I was shocked and taught that nothing could be done.
    The 38 of them which I edited two days ago featured yesterday. I believe that those which I edited yesterday will be published this evening.
    So, take time to remove few of the links and never allow any appear twice in a hub.
    Goodluck, I even embacked on prayer when I saw this because I taught it was all over.

6. Uzochukwu Mike profile image77

It was later that I got message in my inbox that I have a link to my hub which was unrelated. This happened after i noticed that i had zero hubs.
    Never give up and follow my guide.

7. novator profile image60
    novatorposted 9 years ago

If hubpages wants to do this to hard working publishers - why not build your own site(s)? Just a suggestion.

8. Uzochukwu Mike profile image77

If you know those hubs of yours that receive higher traffics, edit them first.

I have three of my hubs that receive higher traffic and I edited time first. One receives about 300 views a day while others 100 up and I first edited them.

9. Uzochukwu Mike profile image77

Novator, thanks for your suggestion. I am looking forward to that.

10. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

I'm sure you know this, but if you get a page flagged as "needs revision," view the hub and check the warnings at the top.

I unpublished about 20 hubs before the Squidoo transfer deadline's cutoff, guessing which ones would take extra work to get them up to snuff. Out of about 250 transferred articles, the only one that got unpublished with a "needs revision" had multiple pixelated images, and I was being lazy and hadn't fixed that one yet.

Re the original post – why would Hubpages unpublish a page that was getting good traffic?

Totally unauthorized answer by an ordinary member who ain't staff...

Publishing platforms like Hubpages have a problem: the Panda algorithm which ranks the entire domain up or down based on patterns across the whole site. While an individual page can get away with having a fair amount of affiliate content, too much content of that kind can bring down Hubpages' Google ranking as a whole.

Google doesn't tell domains exactly which pages are causing their Panda ranking to go up or down (otherwise people would game the system). Instead, Google Webmaster Central shares recommendations (and warnings* via blog posts and FAQs like this page on affiliate sales content. Also, every year, Google releases Quality Rater Guidelines to its internal testers, and every year those guidelines have a song and dance about scrutinizing pages with affiliate links or monetization extra-carefully. The bottom line is that Google's looking for websites that fulfill the needs of its users performing a search. If a domain's monetized content is there for the benefit of its authors (earning income) more than its visitors (wanting trustworthy, useful, unbiased information), it may be downranked in Google search results.

Frequently, bloggers, Hubbers and members of similar sites argue, "Hey, but my product reviews are useful to visitors!" But is our review really more useful, more convenient, and more trustworthy for a visitor than if she just went to Amazon and read detailed product reviews by people who bought the product and have no financial incentive to sell anything? Why should she go to our product review rather than going straight to Amazon and saving herself a step?

That's where Panda can be brutal. That's why Hubpages has been growing more conservative about promotional content of any kind -- backlinks promoting other sites, affiliate sales, etc -- even though some of us are managing to survive despite Panda taking a chunk out of Hubpages traffic. Even those of us getting traffic would probably be getting more if we didn't have this weight on our backs.

And while I hate how much power Google has, I can't fault them for saying, "We're a search engine. When our visitors search for X, we want to give them the very best page on X. There's a lot of competition on every topic now, so why should your page, out of thousands, get ranked ahead of the rest?"

*Translation of that "warning" post I linked to on Webmaster Central: when Google uses the buzzwords "Quality guidelines," they are referring to the Panda algorithm.  In early 2011, during the webpocalypse following Panda's initial launch, Webmaster Central posted "quality guidelines" to give people some idea what Panda was looking for. Those "quality guidelines" have evolved, reflecting changes in the algorithm.

11. Mark Johann profile image61
    Mark Johannposted 9 years ago

I have not been in this situation but I believe HP is undergoing updates monthly. My traffic are lowered in the recent months. I don't know why.

12. novator profile image60
    novatorposted 9 years ago

wow, that's pretty tough...well on the flip side - it gives you inspiration to bring all of your hubs up to date.

From my understanding, hubpages is just trying to preserve their standing with the advertising companies in which they have contracts (which is the only way hubbers get paid).

Anyways, I wish you a speedy update and correction to satisfy the HP staffers so you can get back to your routine.

13. Uzochukwu Mike profile image77

I think is better if hubpages unpublishes those topics they say are overly promotional instead of all the hubs.

All the same, I have many republished now and few left to be edited. Maybe they want to test our faith by doing this.

14. Novel Treasure profile image87
    Novel Treasureposted 9 years ago

So I just clicked publish on about 10 to test and they passed and were republished that day. So I am really not sure what that was for, other than it cost me a couple days of traffic and now I will have to republish 80 other hubs.

I don't have very many ebay or amazon capsules in my hubs. I removed those a year or so ago when they sent out the first warning.

My question is, if my hubs were republished that same day (well before the 72 hours) than why were they even unpublished in the first place. Super frustrated and this might be the straw that broke the camels back.

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The recent hubs that I have published have gotten featured within hours, instead of a day or so.  So! That is something new that I am seeing.

1. Novel Treasure profile image87
        Novel Treasureposted 9 years agoin reply to this

These were ones that had been published for years and all of a sudden were highlighted as overly promotional. Then when I republished them, they were published same day. It's just weird

2. Uzochukwu Mike profile image77
        Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the staff are less busy or the hubs are of very high quality.

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Scroll back through the thread. You'll see a post highlighted in yellow that points to your hub summaries as the problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)