jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)

Is it bad practice to use the word 'free' in a Hub Title?

1. sallybea profile image98
    sallybeaposted 2 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11857425_f520.jpg
    Can using the word as a keyword or in the title have a negative impact on traffic.  If so, are there any other words, apart from the obvious swear words which will do the same?

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ya know... I think you have a very valid point here. If there ever was a word that Google would use as a flag-and-pursue indicator, it would be the word "free". I, for one, would not want the unwanted attention. I had a few, e.g., free lesson, free information, free photos, and so forth. I went and got rid of the free part. In retrospect, those phrases do indeed sound spammy. And besides, that word never showed up in my search terms anyway.

sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is the problem, I have used the word for some of my felting tutorials and I was wondering if I should change that.  When I used the keyword search it seemed rather more positive than negative!

2. Writer Fox profile image78
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If 'free' is part of the keyword phrase you are targeting and that is what people are looking for, then use it.  Some webpage is going to rank for that and it might as well be yours:
      http://goo.gl/E3qwjY

Thanks Writer Fox
        You have a way with words, you sure know how to make a lady feel a lot better.

1. colorfulone profile image89
          colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

People are searching for "free" things. Free is always good for those who find what they are looking for.

colorfulone
            I know I do but I did wonder if it could be considered too spammy.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
              psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Who told you Google does penalize the keyword "free"? I did a quick search of places like the Warrior Forums (a top SEO forum) and they have no such claim there.

I read it here today - hope it is OK to post a link to a forum page.
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128169

1. MJ Martin profile image81
                  MJ Martinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We have some wonderful learning resources here at Subpages.  Fascinating and helpful to know.

2. incomeguru profile image91
          incomeguruposted 2 years ago in reply to this

+1

2. MJ Martin profile image81

I liked the list of photo resources.  Very useful information about finding free photos to use.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

If "free" is a relevant keyword, I do not see why you would not use it.  I would look for a valid source of that information before assuming it was correct.

psycheskinner
      Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, thank you.

3. psycheskinner profile image80

That was talking about what words Hubpages itself might penalize, and a pretty speculative suggestion.

smile which led to the question.  I have often being accused of thinking too much.

1. MJ Martin profile image81

What I found helpful in this wonderful discussion was it depends on what the free thing is that is being offered.  I too have been accused of such things.  I consider it a play on words in many ways.  Our language and how we use it is very complex.  Thanks for a great question.

You are very welcome and I am happy to meet a fellow photographer on HubPages:)

1. Barbara Kay profile image88
            Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I use the word free for crochet hubs. They do well and are categorized differently on Google search than the ones you need to pay for. Free isn't a bad word.

I completely agree, I use the word to describe most of my tutorials  -  free wet felting tutorials  - which is exactly what they are.  Like your crochet hubs, they do well too.

4. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

I seem to be a cult of one as to the free thing. Oh, well. big_smile

paradigmsearch - I would not have said it like it quite like that I know that I for one am always grateful for your valued input:)

Thanks. In my case, they were low traffic hubs anyway; good of an experiment as any. And, because of this thread, I feel fine about the couple of "free"'s I didn't delete. All is well.

Good, I am glad.  I never like to offend anyone:)

I feel the same way.

5. psycheskinner profile image80

Free is a great keyword and one I personally use all the time when looking for, well, free things.

6. Sam Montana profile image85
    Sam Montanaposted 2 years ago

If it is a subject or product I was interested in, I would certainly click on an article that had free in the title. Just make sure your article does deal with something that is free. Nothing worse than clicking on an article that says free only to find that it is far from free.

Definitely free, I don't have no issues with that at all. thank you.

working