jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Spammed

1. lambservant profile image93
    lambservantposted 2 years ago

I have many hubs that have been spammed recently. What is with this? is there anything I can do to prevent further spam from this person? Whoever it is, always has a different name and non are hubpages writers. How does this happen and what can I do?

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
      Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It happened to me a lot recently on one of my Christmas hubs. They kept appearing on it and speaking in another language but it appeared they were talking back and forth to each other. So strange. I knew what they were saying as they were speaking in French and I could translate it and it was not related really to the hub. So strange because I did not get notified that someone had commented on it until another hubber did some time later. I don't think that there is anyway to really stop it from happening.

1. lambservant profile image93
        lambservantposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It was the same with me Faith except it was English. Conversation with someone else about topic completely unrelated. I got notifications though on most of them. ANNOYING!!!

Yes, very annoying. It happened on mine for several weeks and then finally stopped.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 2 years ago

I changed my setting to only allow comments from registered users, that seems to take care of the spam.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image93
      Judy Filareckiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I still allow comments from non-hubbers, but each comments needs to be approved by me first. I do this because many of my FB friends are notr hubbers but read my Hubs and like to comment.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago

Not sure if others mentioned this, but DO NOT delete spam comments.  Don't approve them (whatever that button says - "Deny" or something) and then click on  Spam, but don't delete it - the staff pulls the information and can use it to block abusers. But if you delete the comments, they can't track the IP addresses. 

We all get cycles of spam comments (I get them on my HIV hubs, and sometimes some others).  The ones I get are trying to get backlinks, so they include a link claiming some guy from Africa cured them.

Oh, yes, that is so true, deny it!  Thanks for pointing that out, Marcy!

working