Personnal Chat

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Fred Arnold profile image60
    Fred Arnoldposted 9 years ago

Do you think it would be a good idea for hubpages to implement a personnal chat option? I feel like I could have some wonderful conversations with people but find that forums are tedious and can be derailed too easily. Also, they get very disorganized. What do you think?

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's been brought up quite often as well as personal inboxing, but I do not believe the staff has commented on the possibility other than to remind us that we have the option of e mailing ppl.

2. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a great idea and would be fun. We'd get to chat with people that we're getting to know on the site in a more private, possible leisurely, way.

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With so many chat options out there, what would be the real point in implementing chat on the HP site?

I remember a few years ago I hosted a chatroom on another site for Hubbers.  Not many really wanted anything to do with it but a few did and we chatted as often as we were able.   Might be a good idea to open your own chatroom and invite others to join you.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

At no point in the eight year history of HubPages has this feature ever been genuinely considered by admin because the actual need does not exist.

Despite numerous chat options on the net, and many outside groups started, none of them have ever lasted at all nor drawn anything more than a couple dozen users.

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  That is what I was trying to say.  When I opened a chat there was about a dozen who would come to it.  It just isn't a feasible idea for HP to start their own onsite chat.

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you change the forum view to chronological they are a lot easier to follow.

5. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Plain and simple- "This is a writing site", You want social media -you will never find it here.

We are currently chatting on a writing site. If this avenue works, others may too.

2. Fred Arnold profile image60
        Fred Arnoldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Plain and simple? I would like to talk to my readership on a real time basis. Writing is about writing. But it is also about associating with your audience. This could help in that regard.

6. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is something the Team has talked about in the past, but our main concern is that we simply don't have the resources to monitor or moderate a live chat between Hubbers (for spam, harassment, etc). There are already a lot of great free chat options as well (HipChat is a good one), so Hubbers who are interested in forming a discussion group chat are certainly encouraged to do so!

Fred Arnoldposted 9 years ago

Correlation never proves causation. If the tech was there, people would use it. The fact is it takes time and implementation taken out of the users day to create, maintain, and attract people to another website or chat room to socialize. If it was right there, people would be more inclined to jump in. Just my two cents.

I have to agree. If I had to leave HPs to go to another site, I wouldn't really feel like I was on HPs anymore and Im not so much interested in looking for a chat site. I always just thought an inbox was preferable to sending and receiving emails. All these sites are external. If I wanted external, then I would stick to the external.

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it could be pretty invasive when you are trying to write online.  One could chat from Facebook if you invite the friends you have here to your Facebook page.

1. NateB11 profile image87
          NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I thought about this too. I get annoyed at chat on Facebook and actually turn it off most of the time. Here at HP I could see it being a problem: Trying to write and having someone pop up trying to chat with you. It would be like being at work and having someone constantly coming up to you to chat. And, of course, that has other problems--like them wanting to gossip or stir something up, etc.

2. Sed-me profile image79

Well it's an inbox. You could click on it or not. Read it now and answer it later... or not. It's not actually invasive at all. Giving ppl your email address (and going to the trouble of having to check a secondary email acct.) or allowing strangers into your personal life on FB isn't preferable to me.

I like the idea of an inbox. That is a good point about invasive chat boxes, but there could be a setting to hide chats when you are in the hub editor.

3. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I don't like any personal chat option but I wouldn't prefer to send a message without email addresses showing.

4. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

It is not a feature that I am interested in. As someone else said, there are plenty of chat options out there if someone wants to talk personally with someone. I am generally quite busy so chat on a writers site could prove to be an inconvenience for me rather than a assistance. It would also give spammers one more area to get an in. My vote would be NO.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I see a lot of people saying that they aren't interested in such a feature (myself included)... I guess writers are somewhat anti-social by nature? (haha)

1. Fred Arnold profile image60

I'm a writer and I am not anti-social lol. Writing requires a lot of social interaction with your audience, it helps your reader trust in the articles they read by you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)