jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

What accounts for a huge surge in organic traffic for a couple days?

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 23 months ago

On a different HP account, not this one, I experienced a major surge in organic traffic to one article, like a few thousand visits, for a few days. Then, the traffic dropped to essentially what it was before the surge, like a hundred visits, more or less. Keyword phrases that I knew it was ranking for have not changed. What accounts for a sudden surge in organic traffic followed by a significant drop down to its previous traffic?

Two theories I have:

1. It gained and lost rank in a keyword phrase that I'm not aware of.

2. The subject got briefly very popular. Though I should say it is not some current events type subject matter in the article.

1. janderson99 profile image85
      janderson99posted 23 months ago in reply to this

What about Pinterest?

NateB11posted 23 months ago in reply to this

I guess that could bring organic traffic since pinterest posts get indexed.

But I wonder if Analytics would show referral traffic from Pinterest. I don't think it was showing any.

1. janderson99 profile image85
          janderson99posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Pinterest traffic should be listed in 'traffic sources' for your sub account.

HP stats show no traffic from Pinterest. Analytics shows one visit from Pinterest the day after the surge to a different article. Both HP and GA show the traffic coming from Google.

2. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Just vagaries of the search engines' indexing and ranking algorithms.

I think you're right about that.

3. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Search Google news for the subject and see if there is a recent news entry for the subject of your Hub.  That sometimes explains a surge in traffic. Every time missiles land on the Golan Heights (like on Tuesday from Lebanon) traffic to my Hub on the Yom Kippur War increases.

That's exactly where my mind went with it; I'm pretty sure the topic got popular for a brief period for some reason.

2. earner profile image86
    earnerposted 23 months ago

Did you check the stats?  That will often show the sources, although increasingly not.  But you should check that first. 

Go to the hub
    Click stats near the top
    Click on the tabs for day, week, month - which will show the largest traffic drivers.

Maybe somebody in a forum, or on a social media site, linked to you.

It was all organic. That's what's mystifying me. If it was from social media, I'd get it. I just checked Analytics again and it's showing that it's all organic the day of the surge.

3. colorfulone profile image86
    colorfuloneposted 23 months ago

It is possible that someone shared the link in a private Facebook group. It wouldn't show the source.

4. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 23 months ago

I've had this happen a few times and finally tracked down (by looking where the hits came from on the stats inside the hub, I think) that my Hub had been shared on a major sharing site--I forget the name.

working