jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)

Printing Hubs

1. watergeek profile image93
    watergeekposted 23 months ago

I would love, love, love to have a print option on my hubs that formats the hub correctly when it prints out! I often staff tables at environmental-type fairs and would like to share some of my hubs for fair-goers, while suggesting they go online for more.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Why not just do as I do and write your hub (or save it) on a word processing program and then you can print away.  You won't have the visuals, of  course, but you will have the articles.

2. Jodah profile image86
    Jodahposted 23 months ago

I agree Watergeek. I often wish I could print my hubs out in their entirety and keep a hard copy.

3. Shades-of-truth profile image86
    Shades-of-truthposted 23 months ago

That would, indeed, be wonderful!

4. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 23 months ago

If you use your browser's built-in print function, our Hubs should come out correctly formatted. For reference, the keyboard shortcut to Print is Ctrl+P a PC and Cmd + P on Macs. I hope this helps!

1. colorfulone profile image87
      colorfuloneposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Yes, printing hubs works beautifully. I printed out three hubs today to give to the owners of the service dog I write for. They formatted just like the hubs are.

2. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 23 months ago in reply to this

On the screen everything's fine, but on the print version the text comes out really small and there are huge gaps in a couple of places where it doesn't match the graphics. (My browser is Safari, in case that makes a difference.)

Also, why is it that the font on Amazon product descriptions (that you enter yourself) is bigger than the font in the hub itself?

I tested printing a hub on Safari yesterday, and was not happy with the print.
        Chrome prints out nice.

Tried Firefox just now. Gaps are still there, although not as bad.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
        Matthew Meyerposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I printed a recipe Hub using multiple browsers and operating systems and other than a few minor page break differences, which can be explained by differences in the rendering engines in each browser, I did not notice any formatting issues.  If you do see formatting issues, please be as specific as you can (share a specific URL for example and explain where you see the issue)  and include the browser, browser version, and operating system that you are using.

Here is what I tested.

Windows 7
        -Internet Explorer
        -Firefox
        -Chrome
        -Opera

OS X (10.7.5)
        -Safari
        -Chrome

Safari was okey, but Chrome was better.

OS X (Yosemite 10.10.1)
          * Safari
          * Chrome

Windows 8.1
          * Chrome

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77

So are you saying that you are seeing formatting problems?
            If so, please share a detailed explanation.

No, I am not seeing formatting problems.

2. Sustainable Sue profile image91
          Sustainable Sueposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I have an older Mac. Maybe that's the problem. My browser won't upgrade beyond Safari 5.0.6 using OSX (10.5.7). I've noticed it many times before, but the hub I'm currently talking about is here: http://sustainablesue.hubpages.com/hub/ … ainability
          There's a huge gap next to the first Amazon capsule.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77

Unfortunately, if you are using OS X 10.5.7 it looks like you may be stuck with old browsers that are no longer updated.

You may want to see if your computer can be upgraded to a newer version of OS X.

I think 10.7.5 is about the oldest version for which you can find a current browser like Firefox. Even the version of Safari that supports 10.7.5 is not current or maintained and supported by Apple.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image91

Well, I guess that answered that, then. I'll have to accept that even though my computer is perfectly good and runs perfectly too, it's another victim of planned obsolescence. That's ok. I'll copy and reformat whenever I need printouts. Thanks for checking.

5. colorfulone profile image87
    colorfuloneposted 23 months ago

Chrome has a nice print set up.
    (Videos and comment do not show.)

6. ChristianCarlsson profile image83
    ChristianCarlssonposted 23 months ago

I would say that if Chrome works well with the printouts, it might be worth to get Chrome just to do the prints. You don't need to switch to Chrome full time if you are happy with Safari, you can just use it when you need to print out a hub.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is for you to redo all of the layout and everything in a word processor.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image91

Yep. That's what I'm going to have to do. Copy and paste into my word processor and then reformat. Chrome is only made for newer computers with an Intel base.

1. ChristianCarlsson profile image83
        ChristianCarlssonposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Oh... I thought Chrome was available for everything. It seems so odd for Google to limit it in such way, when they've gone out of their way to make it light-weight enough to run on a 90's Windows/Unix computer and even on most modern phones, neither of which are Intel based.

Then again, it's Google we're talking about. They're not well known for making logical, user-friendly decisions lately...

Good luck with your prints and sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Yeah. I checked it out. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

working