jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

I Think I Just Got Comment Spammed

1. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago

On over half of my hubs one person randomly commented things on there. I deleted most of them, since they were either off topic (like teen suicide rates around the world...and I haven't written a hub about that) or insulting/offensive. They all had different names, but they were all guests so I suspect they were written by the same person. Has anyone else had this problem with anyone?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, occasionally SPAM comments are part of online writing.
      As others have mentioned, you have the option to set each Hub such that comments must be approved before they show up.
      You can also set them to only allow comments from logged in users.
      I suggest setting your Hubs such that you have to approve comments.
      http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/comments (see Show Settings)

You can then review the comments periodically and mark those SPAM that are.
      The system then uses this information to help identify SPAM comments going forward so you can help other authors and yourself by marking SPAM comments.

That being said, it looks like there may have been a deluge of SPAM comments the last couple week and our engineering team is currently looking into how to address this going forward.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Change your settings to that you have to approve comments first. Simply delete those comments that you don't want.

1. profile image0
      greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, my hubs are on that. I didn't approve most of the comments. Had you had these random comments though before? They happened almost all at the same time.

1. SheilaMilne profile image90
        SheilaMilneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

A lot of us have had these random comments. The best thing to do is to mark them as spam but not to delete them.  That way the team can investigate where they came from, and possibly block them.

1. profile image0
          greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Alright, I'll do that now since it's still happening.

working