jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Someone copied my Hubs. Should I be alarmed?

1. GrimRascal profile image60
    GrimRascalposted 2 years ago

So, I woke up this morning just to see four (4) of my hubs with the red "c" inside a "circle" signifying that they've been copied by someone else. Now the thing is, I'm not sure whether I should be worried/alarmed or not. But well, I guess - it's kinda worrisome!

With that, I checked the forums for suggestions on what to do. Some have suggested filing various sorts of DMCA requests and emailing domains, web engines, and stuff. And boy, those looks like a lot of work and my I think I'm gonna get a headache trying to digest and do all that.

So what's the best thing to do? By the way, one thing I noticed about the copied hubs is that they're mostly all in the same format or wording as when they were in Squidoo.

1. Suzanne Day profile image95
      Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Google Alerts is my best friend with this stuff.

I wrote a hub on different processes you can use: <link snipped>

GrimRascalposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. I'll look into it.

2. Writer Fox profile image75
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this
    3. peachpurple profile image75
      peachpurpleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Frankly, i have twelve of my hubs copied by expertscolumn writers, sick n tired, just leave them alone, furthermore, i don't want to reveal my information

GrimRascalposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I was thinking too that the process seems so tiring and haggard. But won't there be any serious repercussions in the long run if we don't act? That's what seems worrisome to me for mow.

2. Ramkitten2000 profile image93
    Ramkitten2000posted 2 years ago

It can be -- and is -- overwhelming sometimes, when you think about having to fight the never-ending fight against plagiarism. But if you find some time to do it, I'd say it's very worth it. Copying hubs without consent (and I don't know why anyone would even give consent) is plagiarism, and it's illegal. It's stealing plain and simple, and these crooks are making money off of YOUR work. Or trying to. And they very well may be siphoning some of what should be YOUR traffic. Sometimes, the crooks even outrank the copyright owner (YOU) in search engine results.

Once you figure out a system for filing DMCA notices, it's not QUITE so daunting ... but it's still no fun. It's time-consuming. It's maddening, if you ask me. But these *&$&*!s shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

One thing I suggest is skip any attempt to contact the thieves directly. I know some people try that "nice" approach -- and occasionally it works -- but I think people should know better. They didn't write it, so they should know it's not theirs for the taking. I suggest going straight to the web host and to Google.

Good luck. I have plenty of little red c's I still need to work on, myself.

1. Suzanne Day profile image95
      Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If Google is placing copied content above your original content in search results, you can report it to them - there's a link in my hub.

It's very easy once alerts are set up on all your hubs to keep track of copies going on and to report them. When I first started, I spent hours on it, now I spend on average about 5 minutes a week dealing with copied content.

working