jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Added photos and content, promoted more, score goes down

1. promisem profile image96
    promisemposted 20 months ago

Just when I think I get the HubPages scoring process, it goes in the other direction. My numbers were doing well and then started to go down, so I focused on improving my lowest-scoring Hub. I added five original photos, expanded the length and promoted it in social media. The score went down even more.

This score and others have been trending down over the last several weeks, even though total traffic is up, I wrote a new Hub, did more promotion, etc.

Do you see scores go down on your Hubs when you expand them and promote them more? Do they go down and then go back up again?

1. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 20 months ago in reply to this

After i add in new photos, polls, video, i also changed the title, shared social sites , went up a while

promisemposted 20 months ago in reply to this

To be fair, I have seen scores go up on existing hubs after I made some changes, but it didn't happen right away. So I don't know if my changes mattered or not.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 20 months ago

It pays not to try and micromanage scores, they are effected by lots of stuff most of which is secret.

I would suggest looking at traffic as your main metric.

I understand your point, but at the same time it seems that putting a score on a hub is a way of saying whether it's good, bad or needs improvement. Same thing with the goal box on the upper right.

2. ChristinS profile image94
      ChristinSposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Totally agree, also I've noticed that when I do updates and see an initial dip, they usually come back up to where they were or even higher over time.  It's definitely something not to drive oneself crazy over.

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
        SmartAndFunposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I agree also. I never look at my scores because for the most part they don't matter. I wish HP would do away with scores, as many people are motivated by them, become fixated on them, and waste lots of time and emotional energy fretting over them and constantly tweaking their articles in an attempt to gain points on a score that for the most part means zip.

All I care about is if my articles are featured and getting traffic, which means they are earning. Focus on writing well and getting your hubs featured, then focus on tweaking them to get more traffic. Forget the scores (if possible -- I know that can be difficult for the former valedictorian/NHS crowd).

3. aesta1 profile image88
    aesta1posted 20 months ago

Yes, scores have gone down and each time I upgrade the hub, the score goes down even further. I am not encouraged to upgrade my other hubs because of this.

I also why we are not rewarded for promoting existing hubs more ...

2. janshares profile image87
      jansharesposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Same here, aesta1 and promisem. It's obvious the QAP ratings have changed with all the other changes over the last couple months. It definitely makes you not want to touch your hubs. But rebekahELLE, SMARTANDFUN, and ChristinS give us good advice about not putting too much stock in hubscores. But it is difficult to ignore when that's the HP criteria for measuring our work. I'll be happier when things stabilize and scores reflect our skills like they used to.

4. colorfulone profile image89
    colorfuloneposted 20 months ago

I updated a hub last week by adding a link to a news article.
    To my surprise the hub-score went up, instead of down.
    Maybe it matters what is added, and possibly when the stars are aligned right for hub updating.

5. tlcs profile image78
    tlcsposted 20 months ago

I wouldn't take much notice of the scoring as it fluctuates during the day! Up and Down just like a yoyo!