jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

So many exclusions? Squidoo to Hub Pages

1. 0
    donnettedposted 20 months ago

I transferred here from Squidoo with 200+ fairly decent lenses.  I think 40 must since have been unpublished due to 'violations' including affiliate links, overly promotional etc.

I can't give the URL now of one that has me gobsmacked, because it has been unpublished by HubSpot, leaving me baffled beyond belief.  A page dedicated to the making of toys for African orphans has been unpublished because it contains too many affiliate links (it has none) and despite my removing almost every single reference and link, remains 'overly promotional' with too many affiliate links.  All that remains it to remove the one and only Amazon module.

Another page unpublished today because of the real life story of an attack on a foreign visitor to our home, and a warning to foreigners to be cautious.  The crime: an Amazon module advertising pepper spray.  Having removed same I see I still get the warning, that I am promoting illegal activities, drugs, illegal paraphernalia and/weapons... Hello?

Hub Spot appears not to be an advocate of human rights, children or animals, homeschooling on the cheap, or free educational resources since almost every one of those hubs have been unpublished and try as I might, if I remove any more content a skeleton will remain.  Writing about real events or people also seem to questionable. Perhaps it is just me....

I am wondering if the thousands of hours of love invested into 200+ pages (lenses) many of them not containing any revenue generating links whatsoever, can actually be transformed into commercially viable Hubs which conform to the requirements, many and varied and confusing as they may be.

A hub offering Free educational resources or downloads will be unpublished if you edit it (as I just did) and they are by default excluded from affiliate links, Subject to correction but I read In to that 'revenue sharing'

I would like to close my Hub Page account but see I am short of the threshold of 50, which I believe I will forfeit if I close the account.  So sad.

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I know it can be challenging to adapt to hubpages. A lot of the policies and rules have been put in place because of the challenges with spam and abuse we've had over the years.
      I'd recommend focusing on a few of your most trafficked Hubs first. This will likely help you preserve the majority of your traffic and earnings in the near term.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image88
    Millionaire Tipsposted 20 months ago

I can understand that it can be frustrating when you move from one site to another, but you did make the switch. This means you have to learn the rules and regulations and best practices of the new site, if you wish to stay.  Welcome to HubPages. I wish you the best here.

1. 0
      donnettedposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Thank you so much. We were not really given an option to move over, Squidoo authors had revenue there. On the other hand I have had a Hub Pages account before that for about 7/8 years which I didn't really use as the Squidoo interface seemed more like 'home'. It was necessary to create a new account in order to make the transition and save the many hours of love smile

3. calculus-geometry profile image85
    calculus-geometryposted 20 months ago

If get violation warnings in error, you can email the moderators at team @ hubpages.com and they can help.  Somebody had a problem recently where empty ebay capsules were triggering the warning.  Also, don't use the keyword option with Amazon capsules, always choose the product yourself.  Best of luck getting it sorted out.

1. 0

Hi there calculus-geography, thank you for your reply. I have been in touch with Matt and he has really answered many questions. One cannot get around the fact that radar robot moderators are programmed to spit out the messages we get, however offensive of confusing they may be.  It seems that if the robot doesn't like the edit, regardless of whether you have deleted every link, affiliate module, and rewritten almost the entire content, said robot moderator is correct and cannot be overridden by a human moderator, because the robot apparently is usually correct big_smile

4. colorfulone profile image88
    colorfuloneposted 20 months ago

Donnette, you are correct. If we close an account before it reaches $50, we forfeit any earnings below that amount.

If you got emails for the hubs that were unpublished, there should be a link in the email where you can post a hub for us to see (only if we are log-in to HubPages). Then we could see a hub and be able to help pin point a violation. Otherwise, all we can do is guess and make general suggestions. Millionaire Tips and calculus-geometry are great at pin pointing problems when they can see a hub.

1. 0

What wonderful useful information, thank you, I will be sure to look into that. Right now, I will just leave things as they are and fix broken links in the meantime - many of them from unpublished or deleted Squidoo pages and lensmasters. The recrafting of an unpublished lens could take more time than I have available presently due to other commitments and probably should be a hurried revamp. You are also helpful and kind, thank you.

5. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 20 months ago

What does HubSpot have to do with anything here?

1. 0

Hello. Clearly an unwitting error, it should have been Hub Pages. Thank you for pointing it out.

6. aesta1 profile image89
    aesta1posted 20 months ago

Hi Donnette, I remembered your articles well and they were very good. When I first checked my articles here after the move from Squidoo, I was flabbergasted at the edits needed. I worked day and night to just make it decent. I am still in the process of enhancing them. Transferring to a different platform with new rules and expectations was not easy. I have to admit that I have thought many times of just giving up but the engagement is important to me and this is a good avenue for my writing. I had a similar experience and some of the hubs, I just unpublished. After learning a bit more here, I realized I should not have done that. I should just have given it time until I understood the site better.

1. 0

Hello Beauty, I hear you and perhaps after my ruffled feathers have subsided will do the same. We are here to write, and I did so love the sense of community we all shared before. Your advice is great and observations helpful. I like that smile thank you so much s