Image Guidelines

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Whitney Rose Woodposted 9 years ago

I have seen various hubs that use images other than their own, CC licensed, or public domain. They are very pretty and they get to use the exact image to get their point across. When I first joined hubpages, I read that part of making a quality hub was to properly attribute images. Does just copy and pasting the URL allow you to use whatever image you want? I was under the impression that it was not sufficient, yet I see articles that use all images I have seen on pinterest or google. I am just wondering if I should give in and do the same. There are many images I would like to use to get my point across but I would like to stick to the rules.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12224158.jpg

"Moore and Bridges Lebowskifest" by Joe Poletta (user "vidmon" on Flickr) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidmon/6053850132/. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File … kifest.jpg

1. CarolRucker profile image74
      CarolRuckerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use my own images most of the time. When I use someone else's, I use proper attribution and make certain that permissison is clear.

There are a few sites which share their collection of images free of charge. The only one I can think of right now is Pixabay.com

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Another is Morgue Files. Wikipedia has a lot of them also. Just be sure to attribute everyone of them like you have been doing and be sure that you are allowed to use them.

The one place that people are confused about is Google Images. You are not allowed to use those without the permission of the website owner or it is mentioned at the site that you can.

2. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

There will always be people who use any image they choose for their web pages and hubs, but many of us try to stick to the rules.    I think I'll keep attributing images I use. :-)

Here's a link to the learning centre, which has the image guidelines.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

3. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

Basically, unless permission is expressly given with a CC license (attribution required) or an image is noted as being in the public domain (no attribution required), then it's copyright protected and may not legally be used without consent from the copyright holder. Simply citing and linking to the source is not sufficient without the permission granted.

Sometimes people purchase stock images for their articles, which don't require attribution, but far too often people just take whatever they want to use and think that's OK. Or know it's not and do it anyway.

4. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Pictures I use are often my own or that of my family and friends and I do the necessary attribution and I do ask their permission. Some sites do specify the attribution they require like for pictures of Churchill and Frankl Iused in one of my hubs which I copied from Wikimedia Commons. I checked some sites before but they are not clear about attribution so you need to contact the owners of these pictures and get permission. I have seen my pictures copied with no attribution at all. I can only speak for myself.

5. profile image0
    Whitney Rose Woodposted 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer this. I will definitely check out those sites and keep sticking to the rules. It is just upsetting to see that there are hubs out there that use whatever image they want and end up getting lots of attention. At least I will be at ease about mine.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Pixabay, Wikimedia Commons, MorgueFile and Flickr Creative Commons are sites I use.

Also, if you go to the bolt at the upper right hand side of the Google search engine screen and click on it, then click on Advanced Search, it will take you to a screen where you can search specifically for images you are free to use. There's a box and if you click on it, it will bring down a drop-down where you can choose "free to use even commercially". Something along those lines.

I'd just double check the images that come up and make sure they show something about license--public domain, some rights reserved, etc.

Also, if you go to Flickr, hover over "explore" and click on The Commons; next screen click on Advanced Search; next screen click the box that says "only search within Creative Commons-license content; you fill in what you're searching for too and search.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
        SheilaMilneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hadn't realised you could use an advanced Google search to look for free to use images.  It's really good, and brings up some unexpected results, though they've been predominantly Wikimedia in the couple of searches I've tried.

6. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

It is allowed to use image from public domain, but ensure to reference the source.

7. ThelmaC profile image93
    ThelmaCposted 9 years ago

This is a very good question and some great answers here.  You should keep following the rules then it will be one less thing for you to worry about when you are writing your great hubs!

8. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

I have always accredited my images. I use freedigitalphotos for all of my hubs.

1. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is nice of you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)