Why Stellar Hubs have lots of images - Massive impact on Search

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years ago

Hi folks,

As you know, when you're editing a hub, one of the areas that helps you reach the 'stellar' hub levels is the number of images that you include. You might be wondering why this is important - The main reason is because images *really* matter for SEO.

As a comparison, here's my traffic from Webmaster Tools for the last month:

Firstly, web only (standard search):

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12227725_f1024.jpg

Next, with image search:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12227732_f1024.jpg

As you can see, having a number of images with good captions that can be searched for can increase your queries by six times, your impressions by four times and more than double the number of clicks to your hubs.

Hope this is useful to people.

1. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is helpful to see the graphs.
      That is stellar information!

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That really is helpful thank you Paul.
        How is  loading time affected by the number of images placed on a Hub?  I have a lot of images on most of my pages since a lot of them are step by step tutorials.  I am uncertain as to whether or not I should be resizing them before I upload them. If so what is the optimal size I should make them please?
        Thank you.
        Sally

1. Writer Fox profile image33
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally,
          Download speed has nothing to do with the pixel dimensions of a photo.  It has to do with the file size of the photo.  To increase download speed, you can optimize your photos.  Here is one of thousands of free tools where you can do that: http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

You will lose some quality in optimizing so you might want to test the appearance on an unpublished Hub to see the difference.

That said, I have never optimized my images for HubPages and I have some Hubs with 200 photos.  I have no problem with traffic or search engine rankings for those Hubs.

Writer Fox,
            I generally use freestone to reduce the size of images but am reluctant to reduce the quality of the images.  It does not seem to affect traffic or search engine rankings so i think I will leave things just as they are.  Thanks for your input.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Helpful information for certain, Paul. Thanks.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information. I do try to have plenty of photos in my hubs.

2. Paul Maplesden profile image76

Sally, I normally get images that are around 1,000 PX wide and HP resizes them downwards when they are uploaded. Many of my hubs are fairly image heavy and according to Webmaster Tools, the average page loading time is around 0.5 seconds. This leads me to believe that it's not an issue (and if you have lots of high-quality images, I am sure that your readers appreciate it.)

Thanks Paul.  I did however notice that on Google page speed insight -  that I am being asked to reduce my images between 5 and ten percent to increase the speed of the pages sampled.

3. Pollyanna Jones profile image96
    Pollyanna Jonesposted 9 years ago

Thank you, this is very helpful. I'll be mindful to label my pictures better in the future.

4. C L Mitchell profile image90
    C L Mitchellposted 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing this, I didn't realise that the image and labelling was so important for SEO. As a newbie, any further information that people can share on this topic would be much appreciated.

5. Paul Maplesden profile image76

I use the following guidelines when looking for images:
    - Ensure that you attribute them properly by providing a source
    - Make sure that you're entitled to use the images
    - Choose high quality images that complement the subject of your hub
    - Upload them at a minimum of 800 px wide, that way they will appear at a good resolution
    - Always include a proper caption (this helps Google index them and boosts your SEO)
    - Don't worry about image file names; these are changed when you upload them

Two of the best sources for images are Flickr Creative Commons and Pixabay. Both provide images for free, although you need to provide attribution for Flickr. I use the Creative Commons search engine to find images to use: http://search.creativecommons.org/

Hope this helps.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does it matter if you do not attribute sites like Pixabay that do not require it?

Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do cite Pixabay, although it's not necessary under their terms. The only reason that I do cite them is because HP considers it good practice.

2. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Pixabay has public domain images and you're not legally required to cite public domain images.

Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nate, for me it's not whether there's a legal requirement. HP best practice asks that you cite image sources wherever possible, and its something that editors consider for featured hubs, hubs of the day etc. It's very little extra effort for me to cite Pixabay, hance popping their name in the source box.

Photo citations are optional, and that is stated in the photo capsule when you are editing.

Photo citations are not evaluated in the QAP process.

Photo citations are only required for Hub of the Day.

Photo citations are only required if the owner of the copyright requires them and are never required for photos in the Public Domain.

6. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

This is really useful. I have never bothered to label my phots and I had been deleting photos for fear that loading time will be affected. Thanks.

You mentioned about size as different from pixels. What would be a good size for uploaded images?

Regarding labels to images, do you have tips on how to do it well?

Watch this video and follow the instructions exactly for creating the Alt image tag (called a caption on HP):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbuDpB_BTc

As far as size goes, make sure your images are at least 520 pixels wide (or 260 pixels wide if moved to the right of a text capsule).  HP will automatically adjust the size of larger pictures you upload and they will be fine.  If you upload a picture with smaller widths, they will be adjusted to the larger dimension and be distorted.

1. aesta1 profile image91
        aesta1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WriterFox.

7. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

That's a wonderful information. Thank you for providing this helpful tips.  I am always giving importance to images. So happy on your observation.

8. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Just having good images on the page increases reader engagement too.

If my hubs had no photos in them, no one would bother reading them.

Regardless of captions, our audience is an audience that wants VISUAL and we have the chance to beat everyone else with the great platform HP provides.

9. C L Mitchell profile image90
    C L Mitchellposted 9 years ago

I'm just going through labelling my images now. Any suggestions or tips for the best way to do this for SEO?

10. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

This is really useful, thank you Paul.
    For all writers who are not SEO experts - I have a query about SEO and captions. If you have say 20-30 images on a hub related to let's say V8 Engines in Italian Super Cars I guess you would have to be clever in your wording so as not to repeat keywords and enter into the realm of Keyword Stuffing?

It's a major problem and I really hate not having a separate field to enter an appropriate Alt image tag that isn't the same as a caption.

You can look at my Hub '200 Pictures of Roses' and view the 200 cross-purpose, caption/Alt tags I had to come up with.  I can't believe after nine years that HP hasn't fixed this problem. (I've personally asked several times!)

The Alt tag should be between seven and ten words and accurately describe what is in the image, not how it relates to your Hub.  It has a completely different purpose than a caption.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
        Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But use synonyms as well as much as you can while making use of the general description in the captions. I believe this helps, WF? (You know more about this than I do).

Alt tags should exactly describe what is in the picture.  Frankly, 'three red roses' is not the same as 'several scarlet flowers.'  big_smile  This is a case where a rose by any other name is not as sweet!

11. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

The advantage of Blogger blogs is you get
    1) a caption
    2) an alt tags field for the description of the image
    3) a title text field - which provides the words to describe the picture for those who are viewing through sites which don't load pics

2 and 3 are available under the properties section of the image menu which pops up when you add an image

Other sites do similar.

This thread isn't about Blogger. roll

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No but people have choices and HubPages isn't the only place that people can post content.

The point I made was to illustrate that other sites don't seem to have any difficulty introducing these aspects for images. Given the internet has become a lot more visual I agree it's probably about time HubPages did the same

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)